THIRTEEN

"I have to tell you something..." I said to Charlie in between breaths. I forced her go on a run with me after finding out how physically unfit I was following my poor attempt at a training session with Nas. We were only 6 minutes in but we both were sweating like dogs. I blame it on the Arizona heat.

"What did you do?" she asked suspiciously.

"I was at Nas' house on Monday."

"What?? Alone?!" she asked.

"Yeah, I think so. I didn't see anyone else in the house."

"Did he kidnap you or something?? Ain't no way the Indica I know would've voluntarily gone to a nigga house."

"I know," I breathed heavily, "I actually called him."

She looked over at me for a moment before turning her attention back to the sidewalk in front of us, waiting for me to explain the secret I'd kept from her for three days.

"Well, I told you about the conversation I had with Santana-"

"And I was right about her, by the way," she interrupted.

"Yes, we know she's weird. But what I didn't tell you was after that, I got this random urge to call him. And next thing you know, I'm at his house."

"What did y'all do?" she panted.

"He just showed me his gym and taught me some boxing stuff. And..."

"And?" she asked with an attitude.

"I told him about my stepdad," I admitted. She stopped in the middle of the pavement and put her hands on her hips. I looked back at her, not knowing she had stopped running and signaled for her with my hand to keep going.

"I didn't tell him everything," I continued, "I just felt bad that I found out about him and his trauma but he knows nothing about me."

"But you didn't ask to find that out. Santana loose lip ass told you."

"I know, but still..." I trailed off.

"I know I'm the one that told you that you should try to trust more, but I don't want you putting all yo eggs in one basket."

"So, what, all of a sudden you not Team Nassau Riley?" I chuckled.

"I am! But I'm Team Indica before anything else and I can't beat his ass if he hurt you so you need to be careful in advance."

I laughed at the thought of Charlie's 5'5 stature trying to fight a 6'4 Nas on my behalf. But I loved that fact that she would still try if I asked her to.

We jogged in silence for a few minutes, mostly because we both were getting increasingly fatigued and wanted to save our breath for reaching our agreed stopping point, the park.

When I wasn't in a gossip session with my bestfriend, I found my mind on him. There was a plethora of other things that should be occupying my mind. Most importantly, the fact that I would be going through a whole new trial for the murder of my stepdad. But even when I tried, my thoughts found their way back to him. His voice, his caramel skin, the way his perfect teeth would peek behind his lips when I told a bad joke, he was invading my mind and I didn't bother to fight back.

"Are y'all dating, then?" Charlie asked, separating me from my thoughts.

"What? No, why would you ask that?"

"I mean, what's stopping you at this point? And don't say Santana or 'OMG, Charlie, I don't know how to date' cause imma punch you."

"First of all, I don't talk like that. Secondly, Santana is an issue. I don't want to give her any more motive to ruin his career. She can make one phone call and it'll be wraps for him."