Chapter [Eight]

I was in hell. Trapped in a gilded cage while having dozens of eyes on me every single day. As shitty as my lucky was, two weeks after my meltdown, the doctor happily announced that I was pregnant. What would have been a happy moment in my life turned to ash in my mouth. Orion howled in my head for a full hour before I, too, started crying.

That night after I stopped crying, Dr. Steiner informed me she had told the Alpha of the Northern Ridge pack of my pregnancy. The news elated them while my heart dropped to my stomach. I had to carry the pup for another seven to six months before I'd lose them forever. Afterward, the days stretched on in silence. I didn't talk to anyone, not even Terrence, the hunky nurse who tried everything in his power to make me speak, but I couldn't. I didn't want to. And what made matters worse... My traitorous family didn't stop calling or try to visit me. I refused to see them.

As my pregnancy moved forward, my belly ballooned to a point where I couldn't see my dick anymore. The inhumanity! I also had to suffer through morning sickness, swollen feet, back pain, and worst of all, fluctuating hormones, which drove me up the walls. I fuckin hated my life.

"Caleb?" our group councilor called out, snapping me out of my funk. "Are you willing to talk?" Her blue eyes stared at me with hope in them.

We were sitting under a massive tree in a small group of six omegas and the councilor. She was a stocky woman, with a few strands of gray hair woven into her blond hair. A few beauty spots dotted her flawless olive skin. Her name was Malia, or Marine. Didn't care much. For the last couple of months, Dr. Steiner forced us to talk about our feelings, and they tried preparing us for the inevitable separation from our children. They tried to convince us we were doing a great service for our packs and their allies. That we could take comfort in the knowledge that our children would be cherished and looked after.

Yeah, right... If that made any difference.

Seven pairs of eyes drilled into me, waiting for my answer. I would have sweat bullet under their heated gazes, but the gentle breeze which swept through the garden kept me cool. I didn't like any of my fellow prisoners. They had already accepted the bullshit the councilor spew out of her mouth. Weaklings. But I still found a hint of sorrow and fear running behind their cracked masks. Even if they accepted their fate, they still had to suffer from the loss.

I shook my head, rubbing my swollen tummy. My bare, yet swollen feet dug into the soft grass while I stared off into the distant forest surrounding the compound.

The Councilor sighed, while scratching her forehead. "Caleb. It has been five months already. You have to talk about your feelings before they consume you."

I scoffed while rolling my eyes. I didn't want to. Nothing I said would make a difference, and I wasn't going to act like a good little omega for them. They fucked up my life.

"You have two months left before you give birth. We want you to be in the right frame of mind when the time comes. Taking to us will allow you to get the feelings of resentment and anger from your chest before you have to deal with the separation. A person can only handle as much as they can bear before they snap, and I don't want to see that happen."

I chuckled, licking my lips at the same time. Here goes my ignoring them. "I find it funny that the people who's using us against our wills want to help us at the same time." I cocked my eyebrow. "Why? Are you afraid we'll break your perfect track record by committing suicide after we leave this wretched place?"

My comment to the councilor left her speechless for a minute before she continued. "We built this institution on the premise of creating a safe space for omegas to give birth without the packs taking it upon themselves to resolve the issue. You may see us as the enemy, but we're not. We're trying to make an unpleasant situation a bit better.