Scared

Heylee POV

After yesterdays events I couldn't sleep. I told everyone I wanted some time to rest, but spent the night tossing and turning . This morning Ransom had tried to get me to eat but I didn't have the stomach for it.

I walked out to the back patio where Blanc was smoking his cigar. With my blanket, I wrapped it over my shoulders and sat across from him at the table.

"Does the smoke bother you? I can put it out." He went to put the cigar in the ashtray but I stopped him. "If it bothered me I wouldn't have sat here."
He took a few more puffs for enjoyment then put it out. He leans forward and gives me a good look.
"I have a feeling you want to talk."

My knees bounced in nervousness, wanting answers but not wanting answers at the same time.
"Do you have any leads? Anyone you can say is a possible suspect?"
He sighed, not quite giving me an answer.
"So you think its someone close to me. Someone you don't want to tell me?"
He shrugged. "Well, what do you define as close? Someone who is close to the Thrombeys? Or someone you care about?"
I look up at him, confused by who he could be implying.

" You think... someone I know would try to kill me? But why? I don't cause problems, I don't have enemies."
"No? A couple of people told me you have one plausible enemy. One who apparently has gotten close to you since your attack."

My back sunk into the chair. This man whom I only met yesterday had already figured out what I was worried about.  He gave me a few minutes to think over his words. Over the years once I left for college Ransom always warned me not to be part of his family. For reasons I thought were because he thought I was manipulating them as my parents did. Even up to the night before my birthday he warned me not to go back.

But the last three days have proved me wrong. Ransom would never hurt me, at least physically.
" I know how it looks...He had been rude to me over the years...heck even I thought of him as my enemy...but I know Hugh Ransom Drysdale. He can be an ass...but under that facade he is a good man. He was just trying to protect his family money."

He nodded. " Or trying to make sure no one else gets the inheritance money."
I looked at him confused. "What inheritance money?"

Blanc looked around the patio as if to make sure we were still alone. " Harlan admitted to changing his will a few weeks ago. Apparently he's planning on cutting off the family, including Ransom. He stated that the money, all of it, is going to be split between you and Marta."

My blood rushed to my ears and my breath came in short gasps. "What?"
"Ms. McKinsley, calm down, sit."
I shook my head, I didnt want to hear it. He can't put me in his will. I don't want his money, I don't want anyone's money. Not from him, my parents.

"No, He can't do that to me. I told him I don't want money. It's for his family, his grandkids, Linda, Walt...heck sometimes I count Joni as family...they deserve it. I don't want a penny of it." My breath is now gasping through my throat and Blanc had to physically put me back in my chair and encourages me to take deep breaths. Tells me to take in a breath for two seconds, then let it out for two seconds. We breathe together this way for several minutes till i'm calm enough for him to explain.

" I'm not saying I believe Ransom would do this. I'm saying to keep your guard up, because yes, I do believe someone you know is trying to hurt you."

Blancs words shoot right into my gut. I really hoped no one I loved was trying to hurt me. If so, what for?

Several hours later, I'm back in my room where I try to isolate myself. I don't want anyone near me. I want to just sleep, and wake up and whoever is doing this is caught. I want to go back to my normal life.

A knock on my door startles me.
"Yes?"
"It's me." Ransoms voice leaks through the solid wood door.
The time for me to decide whether I want him inside my room took too long for Ransom, he had opened the door anyway. The light from the house making his silhouette dark and broad.
" Just wanted to check on you." His voice was calm, a little too quiet for Ransom.
I nodded, playing with a frayed edge of the knitted blanket. "I'm okay."
He sighed and moved into the bedroom.
"Look, I know I haven't been the nicest person to you. It's just cause..."
"I know...You want to make sure you get your grandfathers money. I promise i'm not looking for a hand out."
He had blinked at me. "What? No, Thats not why..."
"I get it, Ransom. I know you think I would use Harlan to get his inheritance, but its honestly the last thing I want."
He held up his hands in confusion. "Wait, what brought this on?" His voice grew in anger. Oh no, Im pissing him off.

I shook my head. " Just forget it, I'm sorry I brought it up."
"No, you spoke to Blanc didn't you? He mentioned how he thinks Im a suspect? How he thinks I would try to hurt you?"
I couldnt hold back my fear, or my tears.
"Isn't that why you hated me? You didn't want me using Harlan to trick him to put me into his inheritance? What better way to take me out of the equation?"

He paused, in an almost shock. He scuffed and moved back into the hallway and slammed my door closed, making me jump in my bed. The whole house must have heard it.

I laid back down and let it all out. I cried, hard. I knew my words hurt Ransom, and now I'm alone in this.

RANSOM POV

I marched right into the study where I last saw Blanc. He was still sitting in the large chair where I left him.
"Don't look to happy, Mr. Drysdale." His Kentucky fried foghorn pissing me off more.
"What did you tell her?" I asked, heavy anger still flowing through me.

"Nothing she didn't already thought of herself."

I shook my head. "No, you told her something else. She knew I wouldn't hurt her and now she's second guessing me."
"As she should." Blanc told me.
"What did you tell her?" I asked again.
He stayed quiet, not admitting anything further to me.

"We are paying you a lot of money to find this person, and you are seriously looking in the wrong direction." I went to leave when what he admits next leaves me in a cold sweat.
"Am I? You mean to tell me you weren't upset when Harlan removed you from his Will?"

I turned slowly. "Harlan told you."
Blanc nodded. "He wants to make sure Ms. McKinsley is safe. Even from you."

I walked back to the chairs where he was sitting and sat in the chair next to him. I pressed my fingers into the pressure point between my eyes.

"I told you, I wouldn't hurt her. I know I haven't been the best for her, and God knows if I'll ever be. But I swear, I'm not that person."

Blanc nodded. " Well, what I'm about to tell you next you may not like...We have to bring you in."
My heart sank. I am his lead suspect.
"Why?"
He held up a ziplock baggie with the bottle of Ketorlac that was missing from Harlans medical bag. " Fran found this in your bedroom."

OH NO! Poor Ransom!
Want to know what happens next? Follow for more!- LisaBGreen