By Any Means.

The rain hit the roof of her Nissan Altima somewhat calming her after the day she had

The rain hit the roof of her Nissan Altima somewhat calming her after the day she had. Even though it was a normal day for her working retail full-time is always a drag, especially in high-end heels. Being the floor manager at Saks Fifth got its perks, with its excruciating downfalls leaving her exhausted by closing. She just wants a break but the bills won't give her that. The only peace she gets is her nights at home & her weekends off. Ready to go into her apartment she grabs her umbrella quickly emerging into the storm. Keys in hand she walks through her lobby, waves at the front desk guy of the night, then steps on the elevator. She takes her shoes off with the welcoming of her floor hallway carpet feeling like heaven on her toes. She stops dead in her tracks seeing somebody at her door reaching where her spare key would be. Noticing the messy damp bun she clears her throat. Bella, her teenage sister turns around startled. "Hey Amb, I just-" "Where is she?" "I don't know.. she hasn't been home in 4 days, there's no food in the house and I need to wash my school clothes."
"Come on in."

Bella is Amber's younger sister and she's basically raising herself

Bella is Amber's younger sister and she's basically raising herself. Their mother is a drug-addicted alcoholic who would rather chase her next fix than take care of her kids. Amber learned that after her father died, or that's what she was told. Amore would leave Amber at school, leave her at sports practices, and her grandmother's home until she passed. She just neglected her. Once she was pregnant with Bella she had hoped her mom would turn over a new leaf, She stayed sober, and she worked the program. It was a miracle. Until Bella's dad turned abusive, it sent her back down a really bad spiral. He later was sent to jail for beating Amore to a bloody pulp and they flipped the house finding drugs, firearms, and two hungry girls in the midst. Ever since then Amber just hasn't forgiven her mother for the things she's done to her or Bella. She always makes sure Bella is straight for school, for anything, hence her bills just never stop.
"What's for dinner?" She asks going to get her air mattress that's always in the same spot she left it.
"I was ordering Chinese takeout, You want your norm?"
"Yeah, please. With 5 wings."
"Okay, I'm gonna order the food and get out these work clothes. You get settled."
Amber doesn't have an extravagant apartment but the Bella it's heaven. Her safe haven. The place where she feels the most peace. Amber keeps it clean, the fridge is fully stocked, got her laundry amenities. Her spare bedroom has no bed cause she didn't think that far to do up the entire room so she at least got Bella a king-sized air mattress, a mounted television, and her own bathroom space. She gets undressed wanting to shower after traveling from the projects to upper Manhattan, with no money in her pocket, so that walk was serious in the rain.
After getting out of her work clothes Amber takes a long deep sigh dialing the shelter she knows her mother goes to.
"Amber, is everything okay?"
"Bella is here, I'm sure she doesn't care but she said everything is shut off, the fridge was empty, and she hasn't been home in 4 days."
"Well, she's here. High out of her mind. She must've known she got evicted because she came here."
She shakes her head removing her earrings.
"Sad, thank you, Ms.Lopez. Let me know if she's dead or in jail please."
"You two be safe okay? Have a good night."
As the line disconnects Amber forms a lump in her throat out of anger, She doesn't understand why this hasn't gotten numb to her yet. She eventually settles on the fact that Bella hasn't known anything good since she's been born, she hurts for her. She may not talk about it with Amber due to her reactions but it bothers her just as much. The bright light for her is Amber so she doesn't dwell in sadness for her how her parents have failed her.