Red String of Fate

Do you believe in fate? Destiny? How about the red string of fate? Do you believe that there's really a thin, invisible red string connected between you and your soulmate?

This is a story where Sana can see the red threads where Dahyun's soulmate is connected to.

[Re-upload]

---

"Hey, Dahyun.."

"Hm?"

"Do you believe in fate?"

"What is this sudden question?"

Sana and Dahyun are your typical best friends since their first day in highschool. They're always together as if they were sisters. But the thing is, the older one between them doesn't think of the other only as a sister.

Instead, something more than that...

Caressing the thin piece of red string tied on her pinky and connected to the girl's beside her, Sana answered without even taking a glance at the younger. "If fate insisted that your love for someone wasn't true and there's another person considered as your soulmate, would you just... accept that..?"

Dahyun looked at her with a seemingly confused face. But later on, she smiled, thinking that her best friend probably just had a lot going on inside her mind.

"For the one I love, I will keep on trying and chasing as long as I can. I wouldn't let fate be the one who would decide that I can't." Was the person she adored the most, responded to her question.

Sana's heart clenched at the answer she gave. She tried to regain her composure as she ran her thumb across the thin piece of string tied around her pinky.

"I-I see..." She muttered, rather struggling.

With a forced, bitter smile painted on her lips, she blurted out with the most fake, happy tone she could let out. "Momo's a really lucky girl, isn't she?"

Fortunately, it went unnoticed by her oblivious best friend, much like her feelings for the younger.

"S-Sana-unnie! It's embarrassing when you say it like that!" Sana's probably the best actress in the world if she could still giggle at Dahyun's reaction even though her heart is already being torn into pieces.

"But, it's true..." The older's breath hitched as soon as the younger started to speak again. "I'd fight against fate. Wouldn't you do the same, unnie?"

Looking down on the ground again and staring at it as if it's her most favorite thing in the world, Sana answered absent-mindedly. "Yeah. I would..."

A bell's ring interrupted their conversation, making the two fixate their gaze towards its direction.

A girl, with black, blunt bangs hairstyle, riding a bicycle had stopped in front of them. Ringing her bell as soon as she came face to face with the girl with pale skin complexion.

Sana could see the joy in Dahyun's face as soon as this girl arrive. But something else had caught her eye.

A red string on her pinky, connected and leads somewhere very far from them. Somewhere that isn't on Dahyun's direction. 

"Sorry I'm late, Dahyun! I had to pass by the convenience store to buy something I could eat later at home." She gave them both a smile that isn't really that wide, but enough for one of them to swoon internally.

And Sana's hunch was right, Dahyun facial turned red almost immediately after receiving a warm smile from the girl in front of them. She feared it would happen anytime soon, but isn't really surprised when it did.

After all, it's Momo who's adored by the girl she loves. Not her...

"It's alright! I was just talking to Sana-unnie while waiting for you." Dahyun responded with giddy, trying to look away out of shyness towards her girl.

"Ah, thank you for accompanying Dahyun, Sana." Momo stated, giving a polite bow in front of the Japanese girl.

Sana forced herself to smile, "It's nothing, really. I love spending time with my... best friend. Take care of her, okay?"

Best friend... The only relationship status she could ever have with Dahyun.

"Of course!"

The two bid their goodbyes to Sana before walking from her, talking and laughing as they got further away from the her.

Sana could only watch them disappear from her sight with a sad smile on her lips as she looked at the string connected to her gets longer the more Dahyun walks further away from her.

---

As soon as she got home, Sana went upstairs and to her room. Feeling very exhausted ever since earlier at school, she plopped herself down to bed, not even bothering to change her clothes before doing so.

Yet, although she's tired, her body wouldn't cooperate with her current state and seemed to be having a hard time drifting to dreamland. Her puffy eyes landed on her desk and to a sharp, metal pair of scissors.

This made her get up her bed and approach her desk unconsciously. Getting the scissors then staring at her reflection before thinking about her conversation with Dahyun earlier. Specifically, the painful line that the younger let out in front of Sana.

"I'd fight against fate. Wouldn't you do the same, unnie?"

"Yes. Fate isn't the one who decides after all..."

Snipping the scissors once, Sana glanced at the red string that only she could see. Part of her had hoped that Dahyun could see the string also. So she could realize that they're supposed to be the ones destined for each other.

"If Dahyun is against fate..."

She aligned the scissors between the string.

"Then I will, too..."

And with a single snip, half of the string is still tied around Sana's pinky finger while the the other half fell on the ground,

Along with a single drop of tear that escaped Sana's eye...

***