Bonding

Chapter Three | The Storm

Snowstorms were something that terrified Ruby since her mother died, her mother was a very safe driver her getting in a car accident had never even been a worry before her death, Ruby blamed the snowstorm, Rupert blamed the snowstorm, everyone who knew about Circe's death blamed the snowstorm, so the amount of snow that was starting to fall in Salt Lake was becoming increasingly worrying for the Matthews family.

Ruby was at rehearsal after school, Miss Jenn had just left to take Nini to the bus station when the lights cut out. The only light left in the room was Carlos's candle stick, Carlos went out into the hall to see what was happening. When he shouted for everyone to come into the hallway it was safe to say it was a snowstorm, While everyone else thought it was fun they were left alone in the school Ruby was beginning to panic, she needed to call her dad and make sure he was home from work and not on the road and so when Gina told them all to go find supplies Ruby used this time to find an empty classroom to call him from.

Once she found a room she sat on the floor against the wall and called her dad. 

Hey, sweetheart are you still at school?

Yeah Dad, the storms kinda locked us in. Your home from work right?

Yeah, I got home te-ten minutes-es ag-g-go don't worry. ok-k-ay

Dad, Dad can you hear me?

Beep, beep, beep

Her service cut out failing the call just as Ricky entered the classroom. 

"Ruby? why are you sitting in here?" He asked as he walked further into the room. "Are you ok? You look like you're going to cry, it's ok whatever it is you can tell me"

"I hate snowstorms" she sniffled.

"There's more I can tell, you don't have to tell me but if you want to talk about it I'm here" Ricky reassured her as he sat down next to her pulling her into a side hug, there was a beat of silence

"My mom died a month ago, in a snowstorm" When Ruby said this he just pulled her closer to his side and let her cry into him before he spoke "Do you want to talk about her? You don't have to I just find that talking about the things that upset you wan be helpful"

Ruby pulled back from him slightly his arm still over her shoulder, "Um, well she was born in Salt Lake just like I was, and she was a dancer and actress"

"Would I know her from anything?"

"She mainly was a backup dancer in music videos but after I was born and she was back in Salt Lake for a few years she played one of the cheerleaders in the high school musical movies"

Ricky's jaw dropped "Wait, wait, wait. Your mother was in High School Musical?"

"Yeah, she used to bring me to set and I would run around and join in on dance practice and then some of the cast would come over on weekends, I can remember it all so clearly and my dad used to take a thousand pictures" She smiled.

"Ok, I'm glad you're smiling but I can't believe you never told any of us this before" He said as he nudged her. "Wait, do you still talk to any of the cast?"

"yeah sometimes, not regularly though but I have most of their numbers" Ruby shrugged. 

Ricky stared at her for a second before standing up, grabbing her and pulling her to her feet, "ok, let's go join the others before I pass out from amazement".

Authors Note

just a short chapter, most of season 2 will be pretty shory chapters but when we move on to season 3 they will get longer