A champion in the making

"Express?" I called out as I wandered out into the vast paddock. Express galloped over then halted about fifty metered away from me. A grin crossed my face. That was a sign of progress. I gently walked over to him holding the leadrope infornt of his head so he could see it and knew what I was going to do. I walked up to him and stayed a few meters away letting him come to me on his own time. I stood still for what felt like forver till he took a small step. And oen more. Until he reached me. I gently stroked his neck and placed the halter on. He reared up and started bucking trying to get the halter off.
"Easy boy, its okay" I told him as a crowd of people gathered to watch us. Sweat beaded on my forehead. The pressure made my skull want to crack. I clipped the leadrope to his halter and slowly began walking around the paddock. I dint force him I just let him follow me. After what felt like hours but was really own minutes he started to follow me. I lead him out of the paddock and to the stable. People followed us as I walked letting him be as close or far away from me as possible.

A girl on a stunning paint horse rode by. Express pushed his head into the horses head. They let out a slow nicker and started bumping heads.
"Looks like soemone make a friend" I said smiling as I looked up and saw it was Ally!
"Ally?"
"Cally?"
"Hey, I guess, wanan go for a trail ride after I finish working with express"
"Sure I ahve to school this lazy bum in jumping for the show" I nod and what her walk away. The sound of hooves on the ground warm my heart and soul

I lead him into the stable and tied him up. I grabbed a brush and began running it over his body. He leaned into the brush enjoying every moment of it. I grabbed the dandy brush and started brushing away the dirt from his thick thick coat.
"You look so handsome" I said stepping back to admire my handy work. I touched his neck and he reared up. Something about human contact made him scared. I could brush him fine but the second my hand hit his fur it was instant fear. I could see it in his eyes. His whole past. His futre. His dreams. Displayed in a single eye.  I moved in and ran my hand down his back. He pinned his ears back and side stepped. I gently calmed him as he freaked out.
" shhh... it's okay Expres. Your loved " I whispered. His ears moved forward a little bit and o have him a treat. He looked at my hand and slowly grasped the apple flavoured treat and started eating it.
" good boy " I said. Express looked at me then at the bag of treats on the ground.
" you can finish the bag, IF you let me lunge you" I reasoned why the stallion. His massive head bobbed and I grinned. I grabbed the lead and started to head to the round pen. He followed me but as far away as the lead would let him. He didn't fight the lead just accepted it. I let out a smile as he turned his head and looked at me.

I grabbed the lunge line and whip and snapped it into the dirt. He reared up but I held the rope tight.
" it's okay" I told the terrified stallion. I placed the whip just on the ground behind him until I heard a small snapping sound. Express moved into a walk. He held his head high and every step was placed with absolute perfection.
" trot" I said snapping the whip. Instead of Pam king into a trot he reared up and started bucking. I dug my heels into the ground and dialed as he dragged me across the arena sand.

I stood up and sighed saldy.
" trot" I said snapping the whip behind him. He moved into trot. His ears where pinned back and he turned his stunning head away from me. I gently tugged on the rope and he turned his head towards me.
" canter" I said and he reared up. His legs flung high into the sky. I pulled the rope in forcing to walk around me.
"One more time. Canter" he dug his heels into the ground determined to stay that way. I slapped the whip into the sand and started turning. He let out a low grunt and moved into a trot. Then a canter. His head was held high and his gate was smooth. Oh how I want to ride that sweet smooth gait. I turned as he cantered slowly. His legs ever so graceful. He lifted his legs up high then placed them gently on the ground. I slapped the whip on the ground. His front legs flung out as he slammed back down on the ground. I sighed. Maybe express wasn't meant for me. Maybe he was just a horse that got close to me for a little. Maybe I should give up.
"No" I said to myself.
" come on express, give me a trot and we can go" I told him. I snapped the whip into the ground and he moved into a trot. I gently snapped the whip into the ground and gently pulled on the rope. He put his head up and tucked it under his skin. His moved into a stunning collected trot.
" look at you go" I praised and walked over. I dug some treats out of my pocket and placed my hand out. He looked at my hand and my face... then ate the treat in less then a minute! New record!

I smiled and walked back to the paddock with him. I opened the gate.