Chapter 38

"And where are you going?" Rouge asked not looking up from her phone as she noticed the familiar dark figure walking past her, the bat had made herself some breakfast she just got done taking some pictures of her work at the dining table letting it cool down in the meantime. "A walk" he said simply it felt good settling into his usual routine again: he would wake up, shower, brush his teeth, go on a short walk depending on how he's feeling, then the rest of the day was his to figure out. "Alright hon, but bring back groceries. I just cleaned out the fridge. It's empty and i need something to eat before lunch"

"Alrighty" he said leaving without another word. "Alrighty?" Rouge mumbled to herself looking in the direction the hedgehog was in before, since when did he say stuff like that?

Sonic was currently still staring blankly at the TV screen all sprawled out on the couch with his empty bowl of cereal on the floor, he wasn't able to sleep a wink last night so he just stayed awake which he immensely regretted now that he could see sunlight peering through the curtains. Maybe it wasn't too late though, maybe he could just rest his eyes for a second just a second thats all

He let his heavy eye lids fall, the sound of the television playing died out in the background as sonic slowly fell aslee-

Knock knock
...

Slowly fell asle-

Knock knock knock

He kept his eyes closed planning on just ignoring it they're probably gonna leave soon anyways..
the knocking eventually stopped and sonic could finally rest. He heard footsteps coming down from the staircase but didn't open his eyes yet not even when the mobian came up to him "Sonic aren't you going to get the door?" Tails asked who was woken up by the knocking "..my bad little buddy" he said with a tired chuckle, the kit just shook his head and went to answer the door himself.
Tails opened the door to find an echidna, a hedgehog, and a little rabbit holding a picnic basket who was accompanied by a Chao "oh, hey you guys" tails said "what are you all doing here?-" "is sonic here yet? I need to see him it's important" Amy said quickly "I wouldn't call dragging him on a date important" knuckles said under his breath earning a glare from Amy "is Mr. Sonic and Mr. Shadow back?" Cream asked "yeah they came back yesterday" tails responded.

Sonics ears perked up at the familiar voices he opened his eyes and got up from the sofa to greet his friends, "hey you guys, what's up?" He said trying to look less tired "good morning Mr. Shadow, we're here to visit Mr. Sonic." Cream said smiley as usual "where is he anyway?" Amy chirped "about that.." tails started "he's right here" sonic pointed his thumb to his chest "I'm back and ready for action" he flashed his signature smile, the hedgehog earned a few surprised looks before amy jumped on him hugging him tightly "sonic!" She said squeezing him. "It's nice to see you too ames.." he struggled feeling like his bones were about to pop

Amy loosened her grip on the poor hedgehog after a good minute and settled on just holding onto his arm "Mr. Sonic" cream came up to him and said "hey cream" he kneeled down slightly to be more on the little rabbits level "what's that?" He asked pointing down to the basket she was holding, cream lifted the lid to reveal a pie inside "my mom told me to give this to you, Mr. Tails, and Mr. Shadow" she said handing him the basket "wow thank you cream" he smiled then took the basket. "Don't do that again." Knuckles said the punched sonic on the arm "if i hear you switched bodies again I won't go easy on you" he had to get an earful from amy about sonic since no one else wanted to hear it, sonic laughed nervously as he rubbed the pain out of his hurting arm "I doubt anything like that will happen a second time knucks, don't worry."

———
He spent the time he missed with his friends, just talking about all that's happened to him during his eventful week, and he had to admit it felt good for everything to be back to normal.

He felt refreshed after hanging out with some of his friends, though he did wish shadow was there. After a few hours he said goodbye to Amy, Knuckles, and Cream since Knuckles had to go back to angel island and creams mother wanted her home before noon. Amy on the other hand didn't want to leave but sonic insisted, he was now in the bathroom blow drying his quills after taking a shower wondering 'what to do now?'

He turned the blow dryer off and set it down on the sink countertop 'maybe i could go to the market?.. no the fridge is still full.. go for a run?.. maybe later.' It's never been this difficult to find something to do. Sonic started to put the few items he had in his quills back, some discount coupons for the chili dog place down town, wrist communicator, a knife he doesn't remember having.. and another coupon!
He didn't put the knife back and just held it in his hands inspecting it, it was still in its sheath, it must've been the knife shadow got from those criminals he probably forgot it.

He headed back down stairs with the knife and sat on the couch again and started munching on the rest of the pie, 'maybe i could stop by shadows place and give it back..' he considered it but that'd probably be just it, he looked down at the pie tin on the coffee table with only one slice left. He could also give that to shadow, the pie is also his anyways.

He quickly put the slice on a plate and covered it with plastic wrap and put the knife in his quills and ran out the door to look for shadow.