Chapter Thirteen

Mark drove you to work the next day. The entire way, he told you how cute you looked in your uniform. "I didn't think a person could look so good in scrubs," he had said, grinning at you. You would blush and giggle at every comment. The car ride was nice, but short-lived. Now you had to face Landon.

I should've said something last night. He deserves to know what he did to me. How in the hell am I going to explain this?!

Now you and Mark were walking into the hospital, hand in hand. Mark kissed the top of your head as you walked, right on your bun. "God, I'm so excited to see Landon. I want to know if he remembers me," Mark said, words laced with hope. You swallowed hard. "He should recognize you," you said weakly.

Mark turned to you. "Are you okay?" he asked, concerned.

No, I'm not. I'm about to ruin your day by explaining that your old best friend broke my fucking heart.

You only nodded. Mark squeezed your hand a little harder. "You know, if anything's wrong, you can tell me," he assured. You turned your head to look at him.

"I'm fine," you lied, keeping a smile. Mark smiled back and turned away.

Phew. He's fooled for now.

I can't keep this up.

Moments later, you had made it into a waiting room. You stood in front of Mark and adjusted his clothing. He laughed softly. "What's that for?" he asked. You unbuttoned the top button of his shirt. "You've got to look good. You want to make a good impression, since you haven't seen each other in so long," you explained. He chuckled. "What, do I not always look good?" he asked, smirking. You rolled you eyes and took a small step back.

"Okay, you look ready. Landon should already be here. Technically, we don't have to be in for another half hour, so that gives you guys time to talk," you said, calming yourself down.

Maybe I can find a way to get away from this mess.

"You're gonna stick around, right?" Mark inquired. You sighed. There's no way you could say no to this boy. "I'll try. They might need me for something," you said nonchalantly. "I'll go get him. Wait here." Mark sat down in one of the chairs. You left the room and started your search for the nurse.

A few moments later, you were blinded from behind by two hands. "Guess who?" said a familiar voice.

You chuckled and grasped the "stranger's" wrists. "Hmm..." you wondered, smirking. "Could it be my asshole partner? I think he came in early today." The person released their hands and walked around to face you, revealing themselves as Landon. "I would've accepted 'suave' or 'devilishly handsome,' but 'asshole' is acceptable, too," he said.

"If you're done acting like a kid, I have someone who you want to see out in the waiting room," you said, pointing behind you. Landon raised an eyebrow. "At this hour? I don't believe you," he challenged. "Well, believe it. He's excited to see you," you retaliated. Landon crossed his arms and huffed. "I'll believe it when I see it. Show me the way," he said.

The two of you returned to the waiting room. Mark looked up at you and Landon. His eyes both widened and softened upon seeing his old friend. Landon grinned beside you before walking over. Mark stood up, and the two men embraced each other, saying hello.

"Aw, man, it's so great to see you!" said Landon. Mark said something similar back. You tried to tune out their conversation. You snapped back to reality when Mark wrapped his arm around your waist.

"(Y/n) here is my lovely girlfriend, as you may know," said Mark. "It's cool that she's working with someone I was really close to." Landon crossed his arms, falling into his usual, snarky stance. "Well, I'll have you know that (y/n) and I actually went to college together." Mark laughed and looked at you. "Aw, you didn't tell me that," he said. "That's pretty awesome."