Chapter Seventeen

You woke up to Mark's alarm, still in his arms. Your naked legs were tangled with his under the covers. He had a hold on you that you never wanted to escape from. His chest was pressed against your back, and you felt his heartbeat. You squeezed the older man's arms and shifted over to face him. He slowly stirred and opened his tired eyes. They were bloodshot, evidence of last night's emotions.

You admitted to Mark that you used to cut yourself. He took it really hard, but he needed to know.

"Five more minutes," he groaned, nuzzling into your neck. You chuckled, reaching behind you to turn off the beeping. Mark pulled you into him and squeezed you tight. "Do we have to get up?" he groaned. You wiggled downwards so that you were looking into his eyes. You gave him a small kiss on the lips. "I have work," you said, eliciting a whine from the man. He let you go and propped himself up on his forearm.

The covers fell off his shoulders. His neck and shoulders had multiple small bruises. You sat up and pulled your covers down, revealing the hickies he had given you. You looked at each other and laughed, remembering last night. Mark flicked his eyes up to stare into yours. You blushed, asking "What?" He smiled, eyes filled with adoration. "I love you," he said simply. "And...I'm really happy last night happened." He pushed his hair back, a tad embarrassed by his words.

You gave him a small smile back. "I love you, too. I feel the same way," you said. Mark's face suddenly turned sour. You got out of the covers and sat your bare body next to his. "What's wrong?" you asked, concerned. It wasn't like him to suddenly shift moods.

"I don't deserve you," he said weakly. You raised your eyebrows at him, and he sighed. "You're the most amazing woman I've ever met," he began. "You're beautiful, smart, talented, honest, brave, and whatever else. But most of all, you're strong. When all that...drama happened, you moved on. When you were deep in depression, you fought your way out. You don't let any of that define you. You just propel yourself into the future and whatever comes your way. You're unstoppable."

He chuckled, staring into his lap. "I'm nothing special. And yet...you still love me. Forgive me for being blunt, but we...fucked last night. And it was incredible. And...you liked it. I don't understand why. I'm just a nobody. A loser from Ohio who plays video games. The fact that someone so incredible as you even cares about me...I don't know."

Without saying a word, you laced your fingers into his hand. He looked up at you, mouth slightly agape. You gave him a small squeeze, rubbing his hand with your thumb.

"I love you, Mark. I wish you saw yourself the way I see you, because I think you're amazing. You make me so happy. The happiest I've ever been," you said.

You rolled the diamond on your necklace between two fingers.

"Do you see this necklace? You gave it to me yesterday. I don't deserve someone so loving and generous. Honestly, you're the best thing that has ever happened to me." you said.

Mark squeezed your hand firmly, but not enough that it'd hurt. He turned his head to look at you. "How did I ever find someone like you?" he asked, smiling. You laughed and pulled him into a hug.

Skin to skin. Heart to heart. Even considering last night, this was the most intimate moment you and Mark ever had.

You pressed your lips to his jaw. "Now, can we put some clothes on?" you whispered. Mark chuckled. "Of course," he replied. You stood up and went around the apartment, finding and putting on your clothes.

"You know, if I recall correctly...I'm the one who found you," you said.

"Shut up, nurse!" Mark retaliated.