Chapter Nineteen

You couldn't believe what you were seeing. Landon, of all people, was running towards you. You heard him yelling, but you couldn't quite make out what he was saying.

What is he doing here?! I'm about to leave!

He stopped in front of you, slumped over, catching his breath.

"(Y/N)...You don't...You..." he gasped out. You bent down and helped him up. "I don't what?" you asked.

Landon wiped the sweat off his face and took a deep breath. "You...don't have to go...to Indiana," he said, coughing loudly. You grabbed his side and put your other hand on his back.

"Breath, boy," you said, annoyed. "What are you trying to pull here?"

"Nothing. You don't have to leave Los Angeles," he said.

Your eyes widened in disbelief. "How? Just two days ago you said I had no choice but to leave," you asked. He chuckled, regaining his composure.

"I'm going in your place."

You felt your body stiffen. Your heart starting pounding. Landon tensed up as you gripped him where your hands were, hard.

"You're going to Indiana? Instead of me?" you asked, shocked. Landon smirked. "I just said that, buttercup," he said.

You weren't sure what sound you made in that moment, but it definitely wasn't human. You fell to the floor, forcing Landon with you by your iron grip. You dropped your head and started crying. Landon chuckled and pulled you into him. "Such a drama queen," he said, grinning.

You hugged your former love tight. You started laughing hysterically as you cried, making breathing almost impossible.

You suddenly pulled back and looked at the boy. "Wait... How can you leave? You're not in the program."

Landon helped you stand up. "I've been talking to the higher-ups nonstop since the other day. It took a lot of convincing, but I made them see that you belong here in their hospital. In fact, they're giving you my old job," he stated.

"B-but why? Why would you do this? It was the best job of your life!" you stammered.

"To tell you the truth, I'm tired of the big city. Also, I've been in a long-distance relationship with an old friend from school. She works at the hospital you were going to be in. I wanna be there with her," he said. He rubbed his neck sheepishly.

"Remember your first day at White Oaks? I told you I was going to support you in everything you do. That includes being here...And being with Mark. I know that you and him were meant to be together. You need to be here with him. We had a good run, but I can't deny you your happiness. That's why I'm going instead of you," he confessed.

An announcement came over the intercom. The plane was boarding.

"That's my flight," he said, smiling. He hugged you, and you hugged him back.

"There's no way that I can repay you for this. Thank you," you said.

He ran a hand through his "I'll be out of your hair forever now. You'll never have to deal with me again. I only wish you the best of luck."

He waved goodbye as he went to board the plane. You waved back, slowly regaining your composure.

You managed to get your suitcase back before you went to the taxi service station. You asked the driver to take you to your apartment.

"Why are you so cheery?" he asked while pulling away.

You sighed, smiling. "I'm going home to the love of my life," you said. The driver chuckled and started down the highway.

You paid him once you got there and went into the lobby. You ran to the elevator and went up to your floor.

You heard a voice coming from Mark's apartment. It sounded like he was on the phone with someone. You leaned in and listened.

"...surreal. I'm just numb at this point. Is this how you felt when you and Suzy weren't together?... I doubt a million love letters could bring her back...Yeah, it sucks. Bad. I don't think I felt this bad breaking up with my last girlfriend. We were together longer... But this really is for the best. Yeah, I need to go too. I gotta make sure everything's ready for the movers... Love you too, man. Bye-bye."

He was talking to Arin? Well, they are good friends. Nice to know he'd have someone there for him if I was really leaving.

You froze in place for a second.

Shit...How am I going to tell Mark I'm here? I don't want to waltz in and be like, "Hey, guess what? I still exist."

You noticed that your door, or rather, the neighboring door, was propped open with a doorstop.

Seriously, Mark? I hope no one stole my stuff. God, I love you. But that was dumb.

But... It was also brilliant. You ran in and jumped on the couch, texting Mark.

Hey, flight was delayed. Can you check to see if my extra phone charger is with my electronics? I can't remember what I did with it. :/

He texted back.

Sorry about that. :( But yeah, it's no problem! I'll check right now.

You heard his door open. Then, the door opened agonizingly slow. You saw Mark walk in, ruffling his hair and staring at the ground. When he looked up, his jaw dropped to the floor.

"(Y/N)?!" he exclaimed. You smiled and stood up, walking over to him. "W-what?! Wha-"

You silenced him by placing a finger over his lips.

"Good news. Landon's going to Indiana instead of me," you explained.

You held up your phone, showing an e-mail.

"I have his job."

Mark squealed and hugged you, sobbing loudly. You yelped, struggling to keep your balance. "Mark!" you said, giggling. The older man hugged you tight and started laughing.

In one swift motion, he picked you up and kissed you, and you instinctively wrapped your legs around him. You kissed back, smiling and laughing.

"I can't believe this," he said in awe. He gently set you down. "You came back."

"Came back? I never left," you said. Mark held your hands in his and squeezed them. "I never want you to," he said.

"I'm so happy I'm not leaving, but..." you said, trailing off. Mark gave you a puzzled expression.

"I don't have a place to live. This apartment already has a new tenant," you explained.

"Oh," Mark said softly. "Right."

He looked around at all the boxes, packed and ready to be moved.

"Y'know...I have an idea about how to fix that," he said, drawing out his words. You raised an eyebrow at him.

"Move in with me," he said. You stepped back, slightly shocked at the sudden invitation.

"Are you sure?" you asked. I mean... I-I'd love to. I'm just not sure if we should to take this step so soon. Is it really the right time to-"

"It's the perfect time." He brought your hand to his mouth and kissed it. "You're already packed, we can easily add your name to the lease, I love you..." He laughed, looking down and blushing. "I don't know...Those sound like good reasons to me. Will you do it?"

You hesitated before nodding. Mark beamed, hugging you. "I'm so lucky to have you," he said.

"As am I," you replied.

(A/N: I know this is short A'F but I've been busy with school. I'm in two AP classes. Kill me pls. Anyways, if you like this chapter, don't forget to vote and comment. Love you guys! <3 )