Chapter Eighteen

(A/N: THANK YOU FOR 5,000 READS!! <3 I am so grateful for all the support and messages I've received. You guys rock. Ok, on with the story!)

Mark spent the next two days with you. He told his audience he was going to take a short break until you were flown out, and the responsive was pretty supportive. However, it seemed like the whole fandom was grieving. They had really come to like you.

You already signed the papers and got your boarding pass for the flight. Mark helped you pack everything and arrange for a moving van to get everything to your new apartment, including your car. Unfortunately, it would be a few days until it got there, so you were going to be stranded in a hotel until then.

At this point in time, you were sitting on your floor, surrounded by boxes and an open bottle of wine. Mark was wandering the apartment, making sure you had everything. Tomorrow you were flying out.

You were startled when Mark draped a blanket over you and sat down. You smiled weakly and leaned on him.

"Do you have your clothes laid out?" he asked. "Mhmm," you responded.

"Is your carry-on packed?" "Mhmm."

"Do you have your ID and boarding pass?" "Geez, are you my mother?"

The two of you laughed softly. You grabbed the bottle and took a sip from it. The alcohol warmed your tired body. You offered a drink to Mark, but he said he didn't want any. You placed it behind you.

"I can't believe this is it," you stated.

"I know it's a shitty thing to think about, but do you want to try long-distance? It would be really hard, but I think we could pull through," Mark suggested.

"Mark, I don't want to cause you any more pain. Forcing yourself to be in a relationship, but not having that person around... I just don't see how that isn't detrimental to someone. Besides, our schedules barely synced up here. I don't even know what that'd be like with me in Indiana."

"So you're OK with just ending it here? Breaking up with me before I even get to say goodbye?"

"I'm not breaking up with you. Don't be like that. I don't want that to be our last memory here. I want you in my life, and I will always want you in my life. Maybe while I'm gone...we'll just take a break."

"(Y/N)...I"

"If you meet someone new, I won't be upset. I want you to live your life... I don't need to be there for you to enjoy it."

Mark sighed, standing up. You gazed up at him, and he ran a hand through his hair.

"It's late. I'm going home," he said. He turned to walk out the door. You sat up, shocked. "You're not leaving me here alone, are you?"

Mark stopped with his hand on the doorknob. "I was thinking about spending the night, but you obviously don't want me around," he said.

"What the hell, Mark? Don't you want to be with me for our last night together?"

Mark whipped around and stormed towards you. "Damn it, (Y/N), don't you think I want to?!" he exclaimed, angry. You sunk down, scooting backwards on the hardwood floor. Mark's face softened.

"Oh my god, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap like that," Mark apologized. You sighed. "It's fine," you said flatly. You threw the blanket on you to the side. "You didn't have to yell..." you mumbled.

"I'm just tired," he said. "I'm tired of all of this. I'm tired thinking about having to say goodbye. How to say goodbye. I don't even want to sleep, because then I'll be away from you. I don't want to be. I'm tired of life fucking me over..."