A Hunted Assassin Part 2

Chapter warnings; a wee bit of torture.

~ * ~

'Put girl down or die!'

You startled and tried to peek around Illumi.

Fei? What was he doing here? His voice came from some shrubs to your right, and Illumi turned towards it, a pin ready between his fingers. You tapped his back,

'They're friends. Just put me down now, please.'

Feitan and Shalnark stepped into view and Illumi grabbed you by the neck of your hoodie again and held you out toward them, 'Yours?'

'Hi guys,' you said sheepishly, trying to pretend like you still had some dignity left, and were not being held in the air like some rag-doll or stray kitten. Feitan's eyes were like slits as he stared at Illumi, aura flaring, his umbrella in his hand.

'Give girl back now,' he growled, and this time Illumi did let go of you. You landed on your feet, just a bit unsteady, and hurried to stand next to Fei who was still eyeing Illumi suspiciously.

'It's ok,' you said quietly, giving his hand a small squeeze, 'I'm fine, really. He was just helping me after we were attacked. I was too weak to run after healing him, so he carried me.'

'Who attack?' Feitan's eyes left Illumi and looked you up and down instead, relaxing slightly when he didn't see any injuries.

'I have no idea,' you said, 'How did you know I was here?'

'Not in room, so Shalnark track phone.'

Of course, that should not surprise you, 'Sorry, it was an emergency. I didn't mean to make you worried, but I'm really glad that you're here.'

He just huffed, and you squeezed his hand again, leaning slightly against him, that was about as much affection you could show him right now.

'Do you know who those people were?' you asked, turning to Illumi.

'No, but they were a bit too good for this attack to be a coincidence. This was supposed to be an ordinary mob assassination, and there's no indication this family has ever had any involvement with such a powerful group.'

He studied the mansion thoughtfully while you quickly explained everything that had happened to Feitan and Shalnark.

'Interesting,' Shal said, 'I'd like to see that substance. It should be both valuable and useful if we can get our hands on it. I'm sure Danchou would agree.'

Rolling your eyes upwards you sighed again. Useful? Apparently spiders were as bad as assassins...

'Look,' Kalluto whispered, pointing back to the mansion, up to the broken window you had escaped through. It seemed like the smoke had dissolved and you gasped as you saw three figures standing there, looking straight at you. Illumi pulled out a number of pins from his chest and placed them between the fingers on his left hand, then strode purposefully back towards the house.

'What are you doing?' Kallu asked, following him.

'Getting answers. They'll not catch me by surprise this time.'

Shalnark poked Feitan's arm,

'Should we go too? I'd like a sample of that stuff.'

Fei was not too convinced it seemed, looking between the house, Shalnark and you.

'They hurt you?'

'No, but they sure tried. It was the woman who had the...gas-bombs or whatever they were.'

'We go,' Fei made up his mind and nodded to Shal, and the three of you quickly caught up with Illumi and Kalluto.

'You stay here.' Feitan said when you reached the front door, but you shook your head, 'No Fei, I'll be safer with you.'