Chapter 2-Common Scents

The moment we reached the Sky Hunter den, hidden deep in the cascade mountains, and stepped through the mystically concealed entrance I could feel the ancient power of our ancestors flow through me.

Wake up! I pleaded with my wolf, we're home now, but she continued to ignore me as she had for the last several weeks— the bitch.

I stopped for a moment and closed my eyes welcoming the life force of the den into my body desperately hoping to finally get her attention.

I had always been in awe of our den, an ancient relic of a place that had been expanded on and modernized through the centuries. Under its most recent pack leadership, den life had been brought fully into the twenty-first-century. I was especially proud of my brother Silas's role in our pack's progress.

Our ability to adapt, using a combination of magic and science, has allowed us to continue to survive with relative safety on the fringe of the modern world —in times that were becoming increasingly dangerous for our kind.

Following a dimly lit passage, we went deep into the mountain where it finally opened up into a massive cavern lined with carved stone pillars. The floor, which had been worn smooth over the centuries, shone with gold flecks. All around the massive room passages snaked away into other parts of the den. On the far side, standing in front of a massive fireplace large enough to warm the entire space was... Silas! My worries about my wolf momentarily forgotten, I ran the entire length of the room and launched myself into his arms.

"Little pup," he said into my hair returning my hug with equal enthusiasm.

I knew I was smiling like an idiot but I didn't  care. He sat me on me feet and held me at arms length looking me over.

"I've missed you sister! You look well!" His wolf glowed bright in his green eyes.

I reached up and put my hands on his face, "I've missed you too big brother!" Then realizing with horror that I had completely forgotten myself, I turned quickly to Alaric, who had been standing next to him and bowed my head.

"My alpha," I breathed. "I'm so sorry Alaric-"

"But you missed your brother? His mouth turned upward into a smirk and his dark intelligent eyes flashed gold with mischief. "I suppose," — he said with feigned haughtiness— "we can let it go... this time."

He winked.

I blushed.

I bowed my head to him again, only this time I was hiding a smile, "Thank you my Alpha, you are as ever magnanimous."

"Magnanimous? Is that so?" he quirked a brow. "I've been called many things by females over the years but that is a first for me. Remind me to have Silas get the dictionary back out now that you have returned." he laughed.

A deep, sexy, exuberant laugh that rumbled deep inside my belly —and a little lower.

Heat was creeping into my face from my wayward thoughts. I stole a glance at Blanca. Could wolf cycles sync like humans? I made a mental note to do a little research on that.

"The pack is happy to have you returned to us Willa," Alaric continued. "My brother... especially so," he added with a chuckle.

I inwardly cringed. Asher had such a big mouth, he had probably gone around telling EVERYONE he was certain I would be his mate. 'You know... right moon, right wolf,' I could practically hear his arrogant recitation of the ancient wolf proverb in my head!

I smiled awkwardly working hard to keep the murderous look from my eyes. Probably best not to let the Alpha see how much I wanted to rip out his brother's throat —with my teeth.