Chapter 28- Scents of Reason

"Don't be frightened." Codrin's voice was thicker than usual, almost gravelly.

And his...eyes...his eyes were fully red, all traces of the warm golden brown obliterated.

When he brought my panties away from his face I could see his canines had lengthened and sharpened into what I can only describe as... fangs, and not partially shifted wolf fangs —like actual fangs. My heart thundered in my ears, as I stared wide-eyed.

"Willa?"

I vaguely heard him call to me through the thick sludge of confusion and shock resonating in my head as my brain tried to process what exactly I was seeing.

"Little wolf...?"

His voice finally broke through to me.

Realizing I'd been holding my breath, I slowly released it and drug my gaze up from his mouth to meet his eyes.

His face was full of apprehension, his muscles were tight, and his hands twitched like he wanted to touch me but was worried I would bolt, "Don't be frightened. I promise...I'm in control."

"I—" I took a deep breath trying to relax my posture and school my shocked expression.

"I'm —I'm cursed little wolf." He said in explanation. His shoulders slumped and he scrubbed a hand across his face, "your mate is cursed."

"Cursed...? My brows drew together, "How? What—what did you do that would cause you to be cursed?" I wanted to go to him but my feet felt like they were glued to the floor.

Anguish twisted his handsome face, "exist..."

The pain in his voice was so raw it lanced my soul and the mate bond burned with a deep yearning to comfort him. I knew he was ancient...that he had probably lived through —and done things, I couldn't even begin to imagine, but the idea of this male —my mate, experiencing any sort of suffering squeezed my heart. Everything in me told me he was mine to soothe.

Mine.

When the need to reassure him began to overwhelm me, I stepped toward him and put a comforting hand on his arm, "I'm not afraid Codrin...only surprised, that's all."

And it was the truth.

My wolf wasn't cowered either, she flagged her tail in invitation when my fingertips tingled at the soft brush of our skin.

"I'm just...I'm wondering, what..." —I swallowed— "what you are?" I managed.

"I am Pricolici." He said.

As if that explained everything.

My face twisted into one of confusion.

Codrin stared at me in disbelief, a frustrated noise sounding in the back of his throat, "Your lack of knowledge in regard to our history is astounding," He said acerbically.

Letting out an aggravated sigh he shoved my panties in his pocket and gently took my hand in his.

"Come," he said, leading me from the living room.

He took me into the wide hallway that led deeper into his rooms, away from the front entrance and living space. The walls along the passage, like many other walls in this older more ornate part of the den, were painted with elaborate depictions of our folklore and history. Some were breathtakingly beautiful and others, like the one Codrin had stopped in front of, were dark and disturbing.