happy birthday

dec 24th
capitol hill, dc

baby laid in her bed as taniya rubbed her legs. "how much longer bae?" taniya asked baby as her hands were started to cramp

"you can stop, that shit felt good as fuck i got carried away" she giggled as she pulled the cover back over her legs. "i wish you could do my back, but ... you know" she pointed to her belly that was started to protrude more and more as the days passed

"i wish you would get back with my brother already so i didn't have to take his massage job" she said as she huffed and found her way next to baby. "how does it feel to be 18 and pregnant?" taniya asked as she rubbed baby's belly

"well, i'm used to being pregnant, i'm not used to being 18 though" baby replied as she looked at the clock that read 1 am. "i've only been 18 for an hour" she laughed. the two sat in a comfortable silence before taniya let her intrusive thoughts take over.

"are you gonna get back with manny?" she asked as she played with the hem of baby's comforter set. her friend looked over at her and she could see the hurt flash in her eyes.

"i mean, i don't know." she solemnly replied

"i think you should at least hear him out baby, like for the baby's sake?" she said as she racked her brain for excuses to get the two to talk again. she hated when they argued or fought because she loved them both as her siblings. she just wanted them to love each other like they did when they first met.

"yeah i think i should too sometimes, until i think about how if it was him in my shoes? if he was sitting at home everyday waiting on me, and i'm texting my ex? and then after he finds out about it i go to see my ex? manny would've killed me and never spoke about me again, so i just don't understand why i have to forgive him so easily"  baby explained started to get a little agitated with the subject, "listen, if we're meant to be together, we'll find our way back, if not, at least i got a baby out of it" she tried to make light of her situation. taniya noticed the mood shift and tried desperately to make baby feel better

"a new episode of joselines cabaret just dropped, wanna watch?" taniya asked trying to lighten the mood

"yeah, it's the only thing i can do. why did i get pregnant before my 18th birthday" she said as she smacked her hand on her head

..........

"happy birthday to you" the empty house of people finished signing to baby as she blew out her candles. it was now later in the day and she cut a cake with the people closest to her in life. amani, her mother, and taniya. baby smiled as she blew out her candles, her only wish to have a happy family. she could feel her artificial smile break down and it was replaced with a look of sadness that was immediately noticed by the other in the room. nobody had to ask what was wrong; everybody knew. amani hated seeing his sister sad, so in efforts to cheer to her up he decided to gift her her birthday present.

"come on yall" he said referring to baby and taniya

"where we going?" the girls said in sync

"you'll see, come on" he simply said with a smile as he led the girls out the door. they piled into amani's car. it wasn't long before the girl was looking around, taking in the condo complex that her brother had taken her to.

"who's house we at?" she asked as she exited the car and waited for amani to lead the way

"bestie i love you, if this is the last time we alive together" taniya said squeezing baby's hand tight making her let out a loud laugh. amani sucked his teeth.

"mmcht, ain't nobody tryna kill yo dumbass. now come on" he said as she led the girls into a building and up the elevator. they got off on the 4th floor. '405' the condo door read as amani put the key inside and unlocked it. as the house behind the door was revealed, baby knew exactly who's house this was and why she was here.

"amani, no you didn't" baby screamed as she ran into her new apartment. she knew it was hers because a couple months back, amani had askers her to furnish a house like she was gonna live in it. she did and it seems he took notes and bought every piece of furniture that baby said she would put in her dream house.

"aye, i only went half on dis, you kno who went in on the other half" he replied hinting that this was also a gift from manny. baby sighed before trying to enjoy her moment.

"i'm gonna go look around at the rooms, thank you so much mani i love you" she said as she hugged him, her bump getting in the way. she walked down the hall and turned a corner in the house and saw a room with a crib in it. it was left undecorated, on purpose, so baby could decorate the baby's room however she liked. once she felt underwhelmed by the empty room, she made her way to the end of the hall where a second room was. she opened the door and before she could look around she saw manny laying on the california king bed that rested in the middle of the room. flowers rested next to him and gifts littered the bed. chanel, gucci, hermes, dior, every designer brand you could think of had a box sitting on the bed with baby's name on it. she locked eyes with her lover and slowly closed the door.

"come hea" he said beckoning her over. she slowly made her way to the bed. he pulled her into his lap as he sat up comfortably on the bed. the two stayed like that, in silence; just for a few minutes until manny found his courage to speak. "i'm sorry, i really am baby" he snaked his hand under her shirt to rub her belly. "i ain't cheat on you, i'a neva do no shit like dat, i swea i ain't cheat on you" he said as he caressed her soft skin around her belly.

"why did you do it then? why did you go and see her?" she asked him, ignoring the apology that he had offered

"if i'm being honest , ion kno. i have a hard time leaving da past in da past and i guess i jus had hope me and ha could jus be friends, but das wrong. ion want you bein friends wit yo ex so why should i?" he took accountability

"did taniya tell you to say that?" she grew suspicious. he laughed at her question.

"nah, it's just da truth my baby. i ain't need nobody to tell me dat. i was acting like a lil ass boy and das not right. i'm pushing 20 and i kno what i want." he said as she kissed the side of her head, "i want you" he kissed her again, "and i want dis" he rubbed her belly. "ain't shit ella could give me, she ain't you and she'a neva be you. and dats not enough" he said between kisses. baby let the man she loves kiss all over her and took on his words. she forgave him, of course. but she couldn't help but hold a little grudge against him. "i know you mad and shit, holdin yo lil grudge it's okay ma" baby felt him digging around behind him before he pulled out a box, "i got you a bigger ring" he said pulling out an engagement ring with a fat diamond on it. baby let him snake the ring onto his fingers before she found herself turning her body as she pushed hers into his. she felt at peace, manny truly was her safe space.

"i love you" is all she said to him

"i love you more" he replied as she rubbed the bottom of her back. as he moved his arm to the front of her belly she saw dark ink along with red ink on his arm. it looked fresh. as she picked up his arm to observe the fresh ink, she noticed it was the date they first met followed with a red heart.