Page 20 ; she's dying when she's awake

I was sitting on the edge of the rooftop here in the hospital while looking down on the road full of cars and different people walking back and forth.

I miss how me and my best friend bonded together, singing some mash-up songs while we were on the road, going somewhere, laughing in the middle of the traffic, and arguing about which destination we really wanted to go to. It was a normal day for them, but a treasure for me. Every second, every minute, every walk, and every talk were treasures for me. I valued it for the rest of my life.

It was my everyday routine: three a.m. and dawn's cold wind—fresh air it is. Such a beautiful day. I just thought that every dawn reminded me of having other days, but then sunsets reminded me so much about my last days.

Anyway, my name is Maylee Vale Hermosa. I am 23 years old, and a few months ago, I was diagnosed with FFI, or fatal familial insomnia. It started with a simple sleepless night until I became a sleep-deprived girl who ended up being an FFI patient.

"Good morning, nurse!" I greeted some of the nurses when I were on my way back to my room.

My face immediately lit up when I saw the cake on the table where we were going to eat and it's chocolate cake. Of course, my best friend knew me so well.

I gave Zion a big smile before I sat down and started eating. While I was enjoying my breakfast, I noticed that he was just looking at me, and so I raised a brow.

He let out a heavy sighed and pointed my face before he asked.

"You didn't sleep again?"

I acted like I bit his index finger before answering his question. "What do you think?" I asked, still raising a brow.

He shook his head and looked away.

I was just looking at him. Even if he's trying so hard not to let me see the hidden figures of his emotions behind those smiles, he can't lie to me. Not in my face. After all, he's my best friend.

"The afterlife is slowly taking you away from me, Maylee." He whispered, but I heard it clearly. I just smiled sadly, knowing that I'm ready for what tomorrow will bring.

And hopefully he will too.

Zion's POV

"There's no cure for FFI disease..."

I held my head. I'm not prepared for this, but I'm trying. Maylee's condition is getting worse, and there's no cure for it. She had not slept for almost a week.

Her body is giving up.

I was just looking at her now, but my mind was out of nowhere, and what Maylee's doctor said yesterday was running through my head.

"It's also hard for us to see her like this, Mr. Lopez. We understand, but as much as we want to, at least, help her, we can't. She wasn't fighting for her own good anymore, Doctor Laxamara said.

Is she tired now?

Her physical features change so much. She lost weight, she always cried, and sometimes she couldn't remember a thing; she couldn't even remember her mother's name. Maylee's too vulnerable. My sunshine was just lying on a hospital bed with an oxygen tube attached to her mouth.

It hurts me, but I can't let her go just yet.

"She's a strong girl."

I looked at Maylee's grandmother, who said those words.

"She was as strong as you are, lola," I said, smiling at her. I can't imagine her pain or how she will accept her granddaughter's fate.

"You know what, Zi? My apo was living with a painful life. She woke up every morning to see no family but me on her side. She always smiled and was kind to everyone, but life was cruel to her for letting her suffer in life. I understand when she gave up...because on the other hand, I can't bear seeing my granddaughter suffering."