The Return - The Demon and the Angel

How long they sat hidden among the shelves in absolute silence Crowley did not know. Not a word was spoken. Nathanael simply let it happen. Patiently, she waited beside the demon and soothingly massaged his back with one hand. A gesture Crowley didn't even know how soothing it actually was. Especially in this situation.

As he struggled to return to his usual state of mind, these gentle, friendly gestures helped to ease the tensions in his body and also in his soul.

Gradually Crowley was able to explain to himself why he had the initial defensiveness toward this angel, a natural reaction, but then went along with the deal.

Nathanael radiated the aura of both worlds. Clearly she seemed to be sent from heaven, but on the other hand she seemed to understand Crowley. At no second when he was in the same room with her did he feel judged or even hated. She accepted him; saw him.

A feeling he knew, along with Aziraphale, only partly from Muriel.

"Are you all right?"

Nathanael's voice was unusually soft. The usual mischievousness in her voice was completely gone, and when Crowley looked up, he caught sight of her worried eyes. Nevertheless, she smiled encouragingly and, without saying a word, handed the demon a handkerchief.

Apparently the sunglasses hadn't helped much.

"Yes...thank you...," Crowley murmured softly, accepting the handkerchief and wiping away the tears from under the sunglasses.

"You're welcome," Nathanael countered, gradually releasing her hand from Crowley's back.

"...you didn't have to do that...I don't know what came over me...but..."

"Crowley, you must be really swallowing a lot right now," Nathanael interrupted him, "...it manifests itself differently for everyone then. I'm almost exploding inside, and with you, the inner turmoil has apparently found a way to show itself...that's perfectly normal. Nothing to justify or apologize for."

Crowley was puzzled by Nathanael's choice of words. This did not sound like an angel. No meaningless words about this being God's will, or that this was all in His plan.

"What?" the latter seemed to notice his astonishment. "That sounded so..."

"...normal?", Nathanael completed the sentence, shrugging and grinning, "think that's the human in me coming out."

"Sorry...I forget that sometimes," Crowley confessed. "You only forget it sometimes, at least..." murmured Nathanael thoughtfully, and Crowley sensed her bitterness. It was almost equal to his.

"Come on, let's get some dust on you!" Nathanael patted his feet and stood up. "Besides, I brought the coffee!" She held out a hand to Crowley and he understood. He chimed in and let her pull him up.

"Aziraphale is asleep, so we can use the time," the demon agreed with the angel, and together they made their way to the sitting area, where Nathanael miraculously reheated the coffee and handed Crowley his mug.

"I'm supposed to order love from Nina," Nathanael began the conversation, taking a sip from her mug.

"What did you tell her?"

"I spun it as if Aziraphale was out with an injury and that's why she wasn't there. Right along with you. You would have taken care of him so much that you just weren't there either. I'm a member of his family and I came to support you."

Crowley gave a short snort and grinned.

"What's twisted about that, please?" he chuckled, and Nathanael reciprocated. "Well... that it's just "people"-appropriate," she explained immediately.

"She was really worried about you guys. Seems nice..."

Crowley thought about Nathanael's words for a moment. Slowly he realized that his matchmaking of Nina and Maggie, had drawn further strands.

"She is...in her own way," he countered about that, taking a generous sip of his concoction.

"Besides...", Nathanael stopped, which made Crowley raise an eyebrow. "Besides?" he urged, and Nathanael took a deep breath. She massaged her temple, clearly searching for words.

"I think I've stumbled onto a clue..."

Involuntarily, Crowley felt reminded of events before the big bang. "Clue? Are you Sherlock Holmes now or what?" he couldn't stifle the comment.

"Well, feel like that right now...or like any detective," Nathanael had to agree with him, "...because Nina dropped a comment that gives me no peace." She explained to Crowley the scene with Metatron and the coffee. As with her, Crowley grew calmer and even through the sunglasses she could see his eyes begin to sparkle.

"A manipulation miracle," he spoke his thought aloud, stomping one foot on the ground.

"Damn it! How could I have been so stupid! I should have seen it!" he visibly annoyed himself, ruffling his red hair, "that damn old bastard!"

"Thought so too," Nathanael grinned, setting her coffee mug down on the small salon table. "That would explain Aziraphale's punishment, too. What if he figured it out and wanted to react? I mean, if we include our earlier realization that Michael probably didn't know about it..."

"...Then Metatron is planning something in the background that would not please the upper echelon either...," Crowley continued the thought. Nathanael nodded.

"I suppose with his action regarding Aziraphale, he wanted you "troublemakers" out of the way. Aziraphale found out about it and had to pay the price..."

"...And with the punishment, he's out of the way...at least that's what he thought..."

Without meaning to, Crowley began to stare at Nathaniel. The latter, began to feel visibly uncomfortable.

"What?"

"Little one...if it hadn't been for you..." he had to admit to himself.

"...You would have figured it out, too. I was just speeding things up!"

Crowley shook his head. "Don't belittle yourself," he intervened. "At least one thing is clear, though..." deflected Nathanael, "I can't go back up there. Metatron will find out quickly..." With a sigh, she picked up her cup again, holding it in her hands and circling the lid with one finger.

"Haven't been homeless in a long time...last time was as a human, when I followed the boss's son..."

"Well, I can only speak from my side at the moment, so I'm deciding over Aziraphales' head," Crowley began, "...but I'm definitely going to settle in here. It...well, it's coming up now anyway. You're more than welcome to do the same. Take advantage of my weak moment!"

To Crowley's amazement, Nathanael began to smile broadly and her eyes warmed.

"Oh..." she purred, "...have you..." She formed a kissing mouth and then burst out laughing as Crowley turned fiery red and sank deeper into the chair.

"That's wonderful!" beamed Nathanael afterwards, patting Crowley on the thigh, "Hold on to that, my friend!"

The mood stopped. Caught off guard by her remark, Nathanael withdrew his hand and was now the one blushing.

"Sorry...I..."

Crowley looked at her for a long moment. She suddenly seemed introverted. A reaction he knew all too well. New, unknown, sudden; it gave one dread. Especially when it was with someone you never expected it from.

He too had paused for a moment after she had called him "friend." After all, besides Aziraphale, no angel had ever mouthed the word in his presence. But it felt good. Again, he could not explain it, but with Nathanael, all these impressions felt good.

For this reason, he took his cup, lifted it and held it out to Nathanael. "I will," he then said softly, "...my friend."

Nathanael turned her attention back to him and caught sight of the scenery. Relief, was literally etched on her face. She raised her cup and toasted.

"Welcome to our side," Crowley completed the cheers.