Chapter 8

Raina’s Perspective

            Well, the rest of the night was uneventful.  The only thing that was somewhat amusing was, at dinner, Bryce choked on some chicken and Zyan had to give him the Heimlich Maneuver.

            Well, I thought it was funny.

            Zyan and Jedrek had to leave shortly after dinner because my mom said: “It’s a school night and my children need their beauty sleep!”

            My dad came home from a month-long business trip to New York City.  He brought Bryce some sort of hat and got me a stuffed otter from the Central Park Zoo.  Oh, he bought my mom a diamond Tiffany necklace with the date of their wedding engraved on the back.  I was envious at first, but after seeing my mom’s face, all that faded away.  Besides, otters are my favorite animals.

            Of course, my mom had to explain to my dad alllll about Zyan.  And he HAD to ask me tons of questions, such as:

“Does he wear his pants at an appropriate height?”

“Is he a nerd?”

“Is mentally stable?”  (With this one, he laughed for a looooong time.)

            Those weren’t all, but I thought those were the funniest.

            After spending time with my dad, I went upstairs to complete whatever homework I had left to do.  Bryce was doing God knows what in his room, which was probably talking to a girl on the phone.

            I decided to go to bed early because I was tuckered out and had nothing better to do.

            And of course, I was feeling all numb and tingly from Zyan still, but I didn’t let that bug me too much as I drifted off into sleep…

            “Well, don’t we look handsome?”  A voice, I recognized as Jedrek’s, chimed.

            “Shut up, Jedrek.  Mom and Dad told us to dress up to impress King and Queen Larkin.”  Zyan was straightening out his tie.  Jedrek rolled his eyes dismissively.

            “Ehh.”  He shrugged, looking down at his white dress shirt, “It’s not important.  It’s not like they have anything we want.”

            “This is a chance to meet the one.”  Zyan snapped, glaring fiercely at his brother.  “And if you had any respect for this planet, you would be proud of being the son of the last remaining royalty.”

            Jedrek was silent as he played with the hem of his shirt.  “I know our planet is dying, Zyan.  I just… I just can’t accept the fact that we must help save it.”

            “You better learn to accept it.  And you know our trip to Earth is only two days away.”

            “I know.”  Jedrek sighed, taking an uneasy step towards Zyan.  “You know, I’m really scared.  You never know what we may come back to.”

            Zyan snapped his head towards him with an angry, but worried, expression on his face.  “Do not say that.  Vespera will be perfectly fine.”

            ‘You’re so hypnotizing,

          Could you be the devil?  Could you be an angel?’