Chapter 19

Bryce’s eyes were wide the entire time that Raina was on the phone, and he didn’t really say anything other than the occasional “Yeah” or “Oh.”

            “Oh.”  Bryce said for the twentieth time.

            I couldn’t hear what Raina was telling him.

            “Where are you guys?”  Bryce asked, which caught my attention.  “Jedrek and I want to help.  We’re at some McDonalds in Ohio.”  Bryce nodded his head as Raina responded.  “Here,” he held out his phone to me, “Zyan wants to talk to you.”

            I took the phone from him and slowly put it up to my ear, “Zyan?”

            “Hey, Jedrek.”  Zyan sighed.  “Sorry for running out like that, but I needed to leave.  They were going to kill me if I went back… I took Raina because I really want to be with her, and I just hope you’re not mad at me.  And I know that Lilia thinks I’m totally insane, but I just hope you understand what I’m going through here…”

            “I know.  And I don’t think you’re crazy.”   I said in a hushed voice.  “Just tell us where you’re at and we’ll help you.”

            Zyan was silent.  I could hear shuffling through the phone.  “Get a piece of paper out.  We’ll give you the address.

            I smiled and gave Bryce a thumbs up.  “Get a pen, Bryce.”  He quickly got up and went to the front counter.  “Hold on, Bryce is getting a pen.”  Bryce came back shortly waving a napkin and a pen in the air.

            “CRAP!  MUFFINS, GET BACK HERE!”  Bryce threw the stuff down on the table and ran after the kitten that was bounding towards the bathrooms.

            “Okay,” I gave Bryce a glance as he ran into the women’s bathrooms after the cat, “What’s the address?”

            Zyan told me the address of the hotel that him and Raina were staying at for a little while.  “We’re going to be on the road again in about… Three or four hours.  So, if you want to get here, you need to leave now.

            “I know, we’re heading out right now…” Bryce came back out, and sat down with a huff.

            “He almost fell in the toilet…”  Muffins meowed and snuggled up to him.

            “I’ll see you soon, Zyan.”  I hung up, gave Bryce his phone back, and grabbed all my garbage and quickly threw it away.  “Let’s get a move on… They aren’t too far away from here.  They actually passed here on their way to the hotel.”

            “Okay.”  Bryce stuffed the last of his fries in his mouth and put the cap back on the milk.  “Let me just go throw this away…” He said under his breath as he gathered up the trash and handed me Muffins.  “Hide him, you idiot!”  He hissed.  I put Muffins inside my jacket on my lap.

            Sooner or later, we were ready to leave again, so we hurried out to the car.  Once we were out of the parking lot and back on the highway, Bryce became jittery.  He kept mumbling something about the Transporter.

            I still wasn’t sure if Zyan remembered the rules of the Transporter, and as soon as we got to them, I would tell him.  Maybe, just maybe, I could talk some sense into him.

            “Bryce, please stop twitching.”  I whined.

            “Oops.   Sorry.”  He gave me a cheesy grin before freezing his shaking leg.