Chapter 13

Nineteen weeks until I leave… Maybe.

            I haven’t seen Zyan at all this past week, in school or elsewhere.

            “He’s sick.”  Jedrek had told me last Wednesday.  He looked awfully upset and his nose had been broken somehow (he refused to tell me about it).

            I have been spending a lot of time in my room, sitting in my closet.  It may sound weird, but that’s where everyone (that is, if anyone cared) would find me.

            At school, I avoided everyone, including Marina.  Jedrek was the only one I talked to.  Bryce was another exception because he was always there for me, even though he usually was a little immature about it.

            One day, I was walking home, since I decided to not ride the bus anymore, and Jedrek came up to me in a rather perky mood.

            “Hey there.”  His dimples sunk in as he smiled at me.

            “Hi.”  I stated with a small smile.

            “I think I should take you out tonight.  You know, so you can get out of the house.”  He was using puppy dog eyes.

            “I don’t know, Jedrek… What would-“

            “Don’t worry about Zyan.  He’s fine.  He’s just a little under the weather.  He’ll be better soon.  I promise.”

            “Fine.”  I sighed, shifting my bag on my shoulder.  His entire face lit up and his familiar blue eyes twinkled.  “You really need to do something about those impressive dimples.  They are really mesmerizing.”

            He smirked triumphantly.  “Are you mesmerized by me?”

            I simply shrugged and kept on walking.  His house was closer to the school than mine, so we stopped there first.

            “I’ll pick you up at about 5… Don’t eat dinner, okay?”  Jedrek smiled widely as we stood in front of his house.  I had the eerie feeling we were being watched…

            “Sure.”  I glanced up to the second story windows, but didn’t see anything.  Jedrek then pulled me into a quick, but comforting, hug.  I felt deep in my heart a feeling of betrayal…

            “See ya soon, Rain.”  Jedrek turned and walked up to his front porch.

            “See ya.”  I called after him before continuing to walk down the sidewalk.

Zyan’s Perspective

            “What the hell was that!?”  I exploded on Jedrek as soon as he came in the door.  He shrugged and pushed his way past me.  “Talk to me!”

            He stopped in his tracks and spun around.  “Why should I?!  All you’ve done is avoid her when she clearly needs you!  Can’t you tell she’s depressed?!”  He shouted, getting more and more in my face with every word.  I glared at him, but I had nothing to say.  “You haven’t seen the way she walks around in school… She is seriously alone.  She needs someone to comfort her.”  His voice was lower now.

            “And that someone has to be you?”  I spat, unable to control my anger.

            “Apparently.  But I guess that’s until you man up and become more like a boyfriend to her instead of hiding out in your room, watching her every time you see her walk by on her way home.”