Chapter 3 - The Wanderer's Path

Patrick was back in his high school, he stood in the middle of the hallway on his high school. He was standing in an empty hall. When he turned around he saw people flooding the hall. Walking towards them he slung his backpack over his shoulder.

He walked through the crowded hallway. As he walked he pushed through the massive amounts of people who were coming out of class.

Patrick kept walking, wanting to go to his next class. He bumped shoulders with someone, he turned to face the person, "oh my god, I'm so sorry." He said, bending over and picking up the boy's books.

It was a boy, no older than he was, he had short dark brown hair and brown eyes, he smiled at Patrick as he handed him his books, "thanks, I'm knew here. I don't know my way around the school. I'm Alex by the way."

"Pleasure, I'm Patrick." He said, introducing himself, "what class are you looking for?"

Alex looked at the piece of paper he was holding, sighing, "Biology. I can't find the lab. Or the room."

"You take a right, then a left, then it should be the-" Patrick rearranged himself so he could read the paper, "the second door on the left hand side, okay? Got it?"

"I think so? Can I sit with you at lunch? You're the first kind person I've met all day. Everyone else thinks I'm a dumbass or summat like that."

Patrick scoffed, "well they tell us never to judge a book by its cover."

"Or a fish in its ability to climb a tree," answered Alex, sarcastically, pulling the books closer to his chest.

"Half the kids in the school are idiots and will probably go into low paying jobs in the future." He shrugged, "yes, you can. I'm a high school's loner, because everyone else are an idiots and don't know how to answer everything. If you're smart, well I'll be happy to be your friend and get to know you a little." Patrick said, walking in the opposite direction.

Alex waved at him as he left, but Patrick didn't see, he walked and the room changed. He was at lunch at his table in the back of the eating hall, " hello." A voice said, Patrick looked up to find Alex standing with a tray full of food in his hands.

"Hello. I'd thought you'd never find me." He commented, he held a book in his hand.

Alex peered at the book, "What book is that?" He asked.

"Something I've read like a million times. You aren't from here, I can tell by your accent, everyone here has the same accent. Where are you from?"

"Manchester, I transferred here, my grandparents moved like a week ago. If you're wondering, 'cause I know you're going to ask this question next to save you some time, my parents are dead. They died in a car accident, dead on impact they told me. Hit by a drunk driver." He sighed, sliding his bag off his shoulders.

"I'm so sorry." The other boy said, leaning on the table.

"It's fine. A lot of people asked me that question on my first day here. I'm used to it at this point." Alex exhaled, his eyes growing dim, "anyways tell me a little bit about you. Your interests and other stuff."

"I like to... uh- play football, until a bad knee injury that happened earlier this year. I was slide tackled, tore something, it was painful to say the very least. Now, I don't think I want to play again. I enjoy being outside and chemistry surprisingly. How about you? What do you like to do?"

"I like to watch football, I've never played it. I'm more of a tennis type of person, I like music and to make it and well coincidentally, I like chemistry too."

"Do you want to hear a corny joke about chemistry?" Patrick asked, raising an eyebrow.

Alex laughed, "Alright, let's hear it!"