Chapter 4 - Lingering Shadows

Panic ensued following Welt's words, Kenny and Nico both exchanged a glance, the other people on the deck rushed under, Kenny grabbed Patrick's arm pulling him towards the stairs, "what's happening?!" Demanded Patrick, his voice hitched up an octave as panic filled him.

"I don't know!" Answered Kenny, pushing him through the door at the bottom of the stairs, "stay here for a moment, I'll be back."

Patrick pressed his back against the wall, leaning his head back so he was looking upwards, "what the hell is happening?" He whispered to himself, "haven't I already been through enough today? I guess the world just wants to put me through more?" He rolled his eyes.

"Hey." A voice said.

Patrick looked down in the direction of the voice, he jumped back and hit his head on the wall, "what the hell?"

"Sorry." The man said, rubbing the back of his head, he was shorter than the average man and wore colorful clothes, "I scare a lot of people, especially those who don't know halflings exist."

Patrick held a hand to the back of his head as pain throbbed from the point of contact, "it's okay, it isn't your fault, I should know by now to expect the unexpected when it comes to this boat and the people on it. I'm Patrick." He extended his hand.

"Mika." The halfling answered, taking Patrick hand gripping one of his fingers and shaking it, his hands were half the size of Patrick's, "let me guess, you aren't a fighter?"

Patrick nodded, "listen, I barely know how to protect myself against muggers and thieves, let alone this threat that I didn't even know about before today!"

"Then you aren't like the last girl we picked up, she was a fighter alright, received a Force Dreamer, too powerful for her own good, she died while defending the ship. It was a combination of overuse and being new to it. Don't overuse whatever Dreamer you have, it could end quite badly."

Heavy footsteps grew louder, Patrick turned his head in the direction of the sound, "Stop it, Mika. You're scaring him."

Patrick yelped and jumped back, hitting his head again on the wall, "ouch!" He exclaimed, crossing his arms, hoping the pain in his head would just go away.

The person who'd just appeared was shorter than the average human, however she looked to be taller than Mika, a little bit on the pudgy side, her arms were formed, the muscles bulged out more than Patrick would expect. She wore a gray dress shirt, a pair of black pants that looked like they were two sizes too big, they went down to her feet under her boots, it seemed like a tripping hazard to Patrick. She wore two leather gloves, "who is he? I'm Vera by the way."

Mika gestured to Patrick then to Vera, "he's Patrick." He said, a scowl appeared on his face, he shook his head in disapproval, "he's been through a lot today, Vera, you get prepared for battle."

Vera raised an eyebrow, raising a hand to her chin, "he isn't a fighter?"

Patrick frowned, his gaze lowered to the ground, "Me? Hell no, the second I see danger I turn and run."

"Then you'll fit right in with Mika," said Vera, she gave him a smile before waving her hand in a manner that said goodbye, as she walked off.

Two doors opened at the same time, Patrick turned his head towards the sound, he saw Welt and Nova, but Welt was dressed different instead of a leather jacket he wore a black suit jacket and a dark colored vest, his hair was slicked back, neatly forming at the peak, his hairline was sharp and semi-triangular, a curl formed at the point where it stuck the furthest out on the hairline, Patrick hadn't noticed his bangs when they were in the room, it looked as if some of Welt's bangs were forming the curl, specifically the ones at the peak. Something reflective was on his chest, a pair of gray boots that were neatly laced and a leather glove with silver embroidery on his right hand.