Chapter 2 - The Outcast Who Darkened the World

Patrick's head was on his knees, he was crying. He didn't want anyone to see him. It was all his fault. It was his fault Alex was dead. Everything was his fault. A hand hit his back, "shh. It's okay. You're safe now." A low soothing voice said.

Patrick looked over his shoulder for the source, a man was crouching down next to him, his posture was crumpled, he wore darkened glasses, a dark leather jacket with a white button up shirt, a pair of black dress pants with a belt, gray boots and the hand that was touching Patrick's shoulder had black glove covering it.

The man's hair was dark brown, just like Alex's was. The man with his other hand removed the glasses from his eyes, a weak smile formed on his face, just his lips, no teeth, the winkles at the corner of his mouth, there were small scars around his eyes, his eyes were brown, similar to Alex's, "Alex?" Patrick said, his eyes widened. He seemed... older.

Patrick suddenly felt safe in the man's arms even though he was a stranger. He felt safe and not concerned about what had just happened as if all his worries just washed away.

Then with a gust of wind from a window, the man was gone, "what?" Mumbled Patrick, his eyes narrowed, the window blew another gust into him, the wind was chilling although his skin and body was warm.

He slumped forwards, burying his face in his hands, the sound of footsteps heading towards him, "alright, we have to get you up." Toby said, forcefully grabbing Patrick's sweatshirt.

"Hey!" Nova shouted, storming over to Toby, pushing his hands off Patrick, "he needs time. He's still in shock." She held his hands on her hips.

Toby scowled, Patrick took a step back away from Toby as he spoke, "We don't have time. They're coming. What do your ears tell you?"

Nova closed her eyes, focusing on something Patrick couldn't hear, "I saw someone-" he started, but was immediately shushed by Toby.

Nova let her hands hang down by her side, "you're right, they are coming. I can feel it in the change in the wind." She whispered, grabbing Patrick's hand, pulling him towards the door, "come, we have to get out of here."

He looked over his shoulder, worried about something, but he followed Nova and Toby to the other room, Nova cracked a floorboard open, pulling it up and a ladder was revealed to Patrick. It was around a seven foot drop into a dark space,

Toby climbed down the ladder first. Nova gestured for Patrick to follow him. Patrick tilted his head to the side, "go. Or I swear I'll push you." Nova said, to which Toby laughed.

Patrick held his hands up and climbed down the ladder. He landed on a dirt floor at the bottom, Nova climbed down, pulling the top shut, the walls of the space were dirt, the only thing supporting the ceiling were wooden pillars, evenly spaced apart, "I didn't know there was a network of tunnels," remarked Patrick, walking after Toby and Nova.

"There's a lot you don't know, period," responded Nova, walking ahead of both Toby and Patrick.

Patrick stared at her, before following Toby, "where does this lead?"

"Oh, will you please stop asking questions?" Toby demanded, he was frowning, "I'm sick and tired of every single person who we save asking so many goddamn questions." He groaned, crossing his arms, holding them tightly to his chest.

"Maybe you should retire." Suggested Nova with a laugh, causing Patrick to scoff, he ran a hand through his blonde hair.

Toby was waddling more than striding, "I'm only eighteen, Nova. I'm too young."

"And crabby too." Nova rolled her eyes, giving Patrick a smile.

Toby let out an amused laugh, "haha, very funny. Why do I always have to work with you? Jett's much better off working with you."