Chapter 37 - First Victory

3rd Person

Year 7956 of the Coruscant reckoning calendar...

Month three, the third centaxday...

The day everything changed.

That is, for the one formerly known as...

'The Weakest Jedi.'

Adi

My knee throbbed.

My ribs ached.

My eyelids faltered, threatening to throw me into slumber at any moment... yet rest eluded me.

Even with General Grievous safely secured within the Absolute's containment sector, I couldn't shake away a lingering feeling of uneasiness.

It was only natural, for one could never be certain that Grievous was finished. And yet, it was somehow different this time.

...

'Rise Zevon, and do so with pride. For today, you've accomplished that which no other has.'

In that moment, I'd been so proud... so much so that my pride had momentarily slipped out from under the mask.

...But beneath the mask, there was something else I'd been careful not to relinquish.

Despite my pride in Zevon's victory, I was so discouraged.

Over ten-thousand Jedi Knights wandered the galaxy... yet out of all of them, not one had managed to capture the droid general... including me.

What failures we were, enlisting the help of children to win our battles. And to what end?

Exerting our absolute authority over weaker worlds?

Defending a corporation's borderline enslavement of a native population? Endorsing the slow poisoning of their planet?

Leading legions of conditioned soldiers to their deaths? Spreading destruction and famine across the stars... as unwitting angels of calamity?

It wasn't so simple to just leave the clone war, no... I wasn't that naive.

Regardless, ignoring these newfound revelations was beneath me.

As I watched the galaxy pass me by, a single thought perforated my mind.

'...What does it mean to be a Jedi...?'

Burst

"Mmmmm."

"Ugh..."

I arose from a deep sleep, my vision hazy as I peeled my dry eyelids apart.

After blinking a few times, I figured out where I was: slumped on one of the padded chairs aboard the bridge.

I took a few steps forward, yawning, and then stopped when I saw her.

General Gallia, standing before the blue typhoon of hyperspace.

Everything came flooding back to me in an instant.

'brum-brum-brum-brum-brrrrRRRR!'

The nightmarish howl of my vibrochainsaw.

'Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew!'