19

Gienne        {30th day of first moon, 754Q}

"Jane, pass over this jam to Gienne", said Mrs. Woodruff

"Mom, when is dad coming back from the capital?" asked Jane

"Next week maybe"

"Why would the king ask for him specifically to go to the capital?" asked Jane.

"Well he is an herbalist after all, even though retired"

"Well that is not what I think; the king must be onto some of his weird experiments, and he may need someone who knows the plants well, I hope it's not one of his researches on that cursed village"

"Whatever it is, let's hope that it's for good", said Mrs. Woodruff

Gienne who was sitting opposite of Jane, was listening closely to the Woodruff family's breakfast conversations

'cursed village', after coming to this world, nothing was same for her, at first it was the witch, then magic, now cursed village, it will take her a lot of time to know what is happening in this world, thought Gienne. She at first felt a little bit uncomfortable when she entered into Jane's house, strange people, strange land, and now she had to stay for about a month with a strange family. 

At first she kept quiet and only gave replies whenever it was necessary. But to her surprise Mrs. Woodruff was really  an accepting and understanding person, she treated her like her own daughter with love and care.

But what disturbed her most was Jane; even though she was talking to her, she talked as if she knew something, as if she was angry. This made Gienne think that whether Gienne had done something wrong to her.

Jane's mother suggested that jane take Gienne to see around Ottingel , as she had her school off today.

"Make sure you both return home back before sun down ", said Mrs. Woodruff looking at both Gienne and Jane

"Yes mother", replied Jane.

Turning toward Gienne Mrs. Woodruff said, "Gienne, you can see this as your own home, relax and don't be worried, everything will be fine"

"Yes Mrs. Woodruff", replied Gienne

"If you have both finished your breakfast, why don't you set out now, I am sure the bazaar would have been opened, and Jane do not forget to take the list with you and make sure you get everything in it"

"Yes, mother", replied Jane

Handing over a few gold coins to Gienne Mrs. Woodruff said, "keep this with you Gienne , and buy a good dress, you definitely need a new one"

"No Mrs. Woodruff, I don't want it, I have dresses with me"

"don't lie to me dear, you only have one good dress , how can you even go out with only one dress, you should buy something new, I would never want one of my girls to dress as if they have nothing"

"But ...."

"I am not going to take back that money from you, go get whatever you want with it"

"Thank you Mrs. Woodruff", said Gienne, who now was felling both gratitude and grief at the same time. Mrs. Woodruff reminded her of her mother, and how much she missed her family. If only she could go back.

"Gienne come on, let's go, we have a lot of places to go", said Jane who was now standing close to the door

Gienne followed Jane, and together they set off to see Ottingel, the port town.