PROLOGUE

NEW YORK, 2023 - CHILD SERVICES OFFICE

Alyssa Dorado did not get paid enough for this. Her new boss had decided she wanted old cases of child disappearances looked into once again.

The 2012 file was a big one. Thousands of unsolved cases of missing children were in the file. Alyssa's partner, Clara, had taken the tougher file.

The previous system was not working. Her old boss did not dedicate enough time working to help the parents get the closure and information they needed. They were told teams of specialists would be working on it. But no progress was shown in any file, meaning lots of cases were put on hold, while parents thought they were being looked into.

This one particular case caught Alyssa's attention.

Violet Brynn Reynolds Johansson

Born : September 3rd, 2010

Missing: October 21st, 2012 (2 YEARS OF AGE)

VIOLET was reportedly taken from MOTHER'S car during a car accident.

LAST SEEN FOOTAGE showed unknown women with a toddler wearing the same articles of clothing. The woman was seen trying to calm the child before disappearing from the bodega where she was filmed. No further footage was found.

SUSPECTS

DANA RICHARDS - Wanted child abductor in the area a year prior. Suspicion was lifted after confirmation of Dana being in Europe was sent.

ESTHER WILLIAMS - Known as REYNOLD'S assistant. Disappeared 2 weeks before the accident and was found dead in Milan 2 years afterwards. A note addressed in apology towards the parents of the minor was given to the police, but no admission of the abduction was stated.

CASE ON HOLD SINCE JANUARY 2015

VIOLET IS PRESUMED AS DECEASED.

Alyssa stared at the file in disbelief. Why had no one tried connecting the dots and suspicions that Esther Williams had some information on what had happened. Why else had she apologized? No one had tried tracking any contacts or sightings of the woman? Alyssa sighed, irritated with whoever was in charge here before.

She turned to Clara, on the desk next to her.

"When can we start looking into these?" She asked as she placed Violet's file on the pile with the other cases that the team would be looking into.

"Right away, unless you're currently working on an active case right now?" Clara said as she did not look up from her pile.

"Great. I'll be right back."

Out of all the cases she had looked into, Violet's was the only one that had a suspect clear enough to look into. The other ones had less data, so might as well get the data needed from this one and then take her time looking into the others.

"Hey, Mike." She walked into the researcher's office. "I have a person if you could look into it real quick." She sat down beside him, placing the folder on his desk. Mike looked over his shoulder.

"Esther Williams? Or the kid?"

"Look into both." Alyssa concluded. "But focus on Esther's last 2 years, and I want whoever she was in contact with during the time of the disappearance of the girl."

"I'll try my best." Mike got into work quickly. Mike Sanders was new, and had been waiting for a case for a long time. He was happy to help in any way.

NEW YORK - HILLTOP PRIVATE SCHOOL

"My mom told me you could stay over for dinner today." Alina Guseva turned to Violet Thomas, who was putting something away in her locker at the moment.

"I would love to, but Grace told me she wants to have dinner at the house today, and I kind of miss her." Violet sighed.

"But Grace is so boring." Alina rolled her eyes as she whined.

"She's not my best friend." Violet smiled and nudged Alina playfully. "But there hasn't been another kid at the house in like 6 months ever since she moved in with her older sister after turning 18." She shrugged. Being the only kid at the foster house was starting to get lonely. But she wasn't going to complain, May was not the sweetest woman alive, and she was lucky that to have her as a guardian.

"I'll come over tomorrow for breakfast." Violet proposed instead. "We have to go to dance at 11, right?"

"Unfortunately." Both girls turned to see Kalani Robinson as she dragged herself on the lockers pitifully. "I can't believe we have class until 9 PM." She whined.

Violet chuckled. "Tomorrow is going to be so long. But at least Marissa canceled our meeting." She perked up.

Alina's eyes widened. "Can social workers do that?"

"Definitely not." Kalani rolled her eyes as she grabbed a scrunchy from the locker and put her braids in a ponytail.

"But at least I won't hear about everyone wondering if I feel good at May's house." She sighed. "If they moved me from May's house I might die, not gonna lie."

"Vivi!" Kalani nudged her, shocked. Alina just laughed to herself. Knowing Violet longer, she was used to her dramatics.

Kalani and Sora had just joined the duo two years ago, and they were still shocked at half the stuff the girls said.

Sora then came running towards them.

"They're making another Avengers Movie!" She jumped towards them. A couple other students turned towards them, but they didn't mind. Sora was usually jumping around school, Violet or Kalani in hand.

"How many Marvel movies are they going to keep making?" Violet rolled her eyes. She didn't hate Marvel, but she was just never interested.  Kalani nudged her harshly, again.

"That's great!" Alina jumped in and linked her arms with Sora. "Do you think the original avengers will be back?" She gushed. Sora was a Marvel fan, but Alina knew everything about the franchise. She claims she learned English just by reading Marvel Comics as a kid.

Violet turned to Kalani as their two friends kept on fangirling about the movies. Kalani didn't hate Marvel either, but she, like Violet, preferred to spend her days in a YA book, not watching superhero movies. 

The four girls started walking outside. They usually walked to the station to get home, but today Sora's mom would be picking them up. They had dance later at 5, so they often carpooled as well.

"I can't believe they're making us go to dance today." Groaned Kalani. "Competition season is over, what's the need?"

"It's only 2 hours, at least." Violet responded. She was exhausted from the school day, but she loved dance. It made her feel normal. May had loved when her kids pursued a hobby, and she had supported Violet in her love of dance ever since she got to her house 5 years ago. May wasn't maternal in her support, but she always made sure any of her kids got everything they needed for when they had to leave.

Grace coming to visit proved May wasn't a terror. Sure, they always did complain about how they wondered what having a real mom would be like. But with how others in the system had fared, she was very lucky.

Violet was the luckiest girl alive. Even if she felt as if sometimes she couldn't breathe when she taught about how the hell she had gotten into this position.

×××××××××××××××

THE FRIEND GROUP