Chapter Four--First Day On The Job

In the weeks following the chandelier incident, I awaited a call from Tina letting me know I got the job. About two weeks after moving in, Bill finally called me letting me know he and Tina had talked it over and agreed that I seemed mature enough to look after Dylan. I was just happy he had called instead of Tina. He seemed quite friendly, much like his son. There I was, the next day, gathering comic books and video games hoping Tina would be okay with them. Just in case, I also gathered some kid-appropriate movies and put them in the bag with my other stuff. I desperately wanted to bring my younger siblings especially since I knew they were still miserable. I knew better than to bring them though. Tina would surely not appreciate that.

Stepping onto the steps, I fixed my blue tank top and jeans. I overheard Mom and Dad talking quietly. I listened only for words that stood out to me. Another press conference tonight..........Used to come home and eat dinner with his family.......Dream job........ I sighed figuring that was all I needed to hear before the door opened and closed as I reached the bottom of the steps. It was no secret that Dad was fully a part of the reason why my siblings were miserable. I was certain they would be more happy if he was home more often so I decided I would be more happy if he was home more often.

After hugging Mom, I went outside noticing my siblings out there, all miserable. They all watched as Dad got in his car. I waved but he didn't notice me. With a sigh, I stand next to Sarah fixing my glasses.

"Day fourteen on the alien planet," she scoffed as our neighbor attempted to walk her dog while also on the phone begging for something from what appeared to be her company. I stepped over to the twins kissing them on the hair before making my way through the rest of my siblings. Just then, Charlie and Henry came outside. Charlie was not in a good mood. Yet again, when is my brother ever in a good mood here?

"Where are you going?" Henry asked attempting to follow him to his car.

"To sign up for Football," he reminded us. Then, he said something that shocked me. "And, no! You can't come!"

It wasn't the words he said but rather how he said it. I can admit. Henry can be annoying and he proved just that when he picked on Mark when he was just trying to choose a room. I also knew, however, that Henry admired Charlie and looked up to him so it had to have hurt him to hear that. I sent my younger brother an apologetic look as Kim tried to tug on my hand.

"Can I go with you?" she pleaded. With a sigh, I let go of her but put my hand to her chin lifting it up to me.

"I'm sorry Kim but I think it's best that I just go today. I promise. As soon as things get settled, I'll make sure you and your sister are the first to go. How about that?" Both girls hugged me causing me to chuckle reminding me of Henry and Charlie's relationship. I wanted to bring the girls first since they were the calmest and seemed to be the most respectful unless they weren't around their other siblings. After promising the rest of my siblings they would get to go too at some point, I ran to Charlie's car banging on his driver's door window. I needed to see what was up with him.

"Hey, sis. Can you make it quick? I'm running a little late," he said.

"Don't worry, Charlie. I just want to make sure you're okay. What you said to Henry back there was so unlike you. If you need to talk, maybe when we both get home, we can talk in your room if you're up for it." He gave me a smile.

"Actually, that would be a great idea. You need to tell me about Dylan anyway," he said. With a nod, I moved out of the way so he could roll up his window.

When I was about to go to the end of our driveway, I saw Lorraine, Kim, Jessica, Sarah, Jake, Mike, and Henry go inside. With an exhausted sigh, I walked across the street where I knew their house was. Nervously, I knocked on the door hoping with everything Tina wasn't home. My hopes are dismayed though when she opens the door, Dylan standing behind her with a smile on his face obviously happy to see me.