Chapter Eighteen--Speculations

Sarah sat next to me on my bed eating the chips I had set out for us to eat just us. Her hair was in a tight braid while mine was curled from earlier. I had chosen to let Sarah be the one to ask me what was going on so I didn't make a big deal out of it. When she did, I was not at all surprised.

"Something's wrong," she analyzed. I sighed at her.

"Was it that obvious?" I joked.

"Um.....yeah. It was," she said awkwardly.

"Yes. There is something going on. I've been meaning to talk to you about something actually. It's about you and Elliot," I told her. Her eyes widened realizing what this was about.

"Elliot Murtaugh? Nothing's going on. He's closer to Jake than me. Why would you think that?" she lied. I put a hand on her leg.

"Now Sarah Baker," I said in a stern yet comforting voice. "Do you really think I believe that? I see how you look at him. More importantly, I see how he looks at you back."

"What's wrong with the way he looks at me?" she asked tracing the rim around her beanie. I chuckled at that finding it funny that I was the one realizing that my sister was fully in love before she even knew herself.

"Nothing," I trailed off as she nodded with exaggeration.

"Uh-huh," she said. "Here's the thing, Hunts. I do like him but you have to promise---"

"I won't tell Dad," I reassured her with a giggle happy to get her to open up to me.

"If you do, I'll have to tell him about you and Daniel," she winked causing me to widen my eyes in shock.

"Daniel and I are just friends," I lied.

"Like the way me and Elliot are just friends?" she joked causing me to grab a pillow.

"Shut up," I hissed as she attempted to move away laughing. I crawled after her holding the pillow as she grabbed another one and threw it in my face. I groaned hitting her back with my pillow as I started laughing with her.

We were having so much fun that we didn't realize Dad had come in to check on me.

"Girls? What are you guys doing?" he asked confused. Mom came out of the bedroom overhearing him as she took her makeup off overhearing us. She looked at us seeing me still holding the pillow careful of the food on the bed. At first, she had a conflicted look on her face and then her eyes widened in realization. She put an arm around Dad.

"Tom. I'm sure they're just having fun in here," she excused with a rather frustrated look still probably because of their discussion we overheard when we had returned home.

"Hunter and Sarah Baker hanging out?" he asked confused.

"Well, I don't see what's so weird about it. Come on, honey. Let's go," Mom announced taking him to their room.

"They were having a pillow fight, Kate," he said confused. "I heard Sarah say something about her and Elliot being 'just friends." My eyes widened seeing my sister put her head down ashamed next to me. We didn't hear any more. Mom must've been trying to get him to get to the room faster before he said something else.

"I'm sorry," Sarah whispered. I let her lay her head down on my shoulder rubbing her back to make her feel better.

"It's okay, Sarah. I know it was an accident," I reassured her. We laid there for a second before she fell asleep next to me in the bed.

I tiptoed downstairs taking the bowels to the sink as I began to wash them with a sigh thinking about how lucky I was that Dad didn't hear any more. That would've been bad for both of us.