Chapter 13--One Proud Big Sister

They say that starting a family is a start of optimism. My parents are well aware of that. Believe me. They're clearly very, very, optimistic. Of course, there have always been their good and bad times along the way but throughout it all, they still loved us. Even so, they needed to learn a lot of lessons. With my twelve siblings, and myself, there sure are a lot of them you have to get used to.

I stood next to Dad helping my now pregnant big sister out of the car. When I saw her, I kissed her and then her baby bump. It was hard for me to believe that my new niece or nephew was in there.

"You know, Nor, you look great for six months pregnant," I told her causing her to chuckle amused.

"You really do, honey," Dad told her as Bud came out of the car and Dad greeted him as well as me.

Once, I asked my parents which one of those lessons they never got used to. They both agreed that it was definitely that moment when they looked us in the eye and found themselves having to say the most difficult word in the human dictionary: goodbye.

Running with my siblings, I put an arm around Kim and Jessica. Seriously. Even to this day, those girls still look up to me. Dad ushered everyone forward since we were late for, believe it or not, Lorraine's graduation. I struggled to comprehend that on the flight back from Emory University. Yep, a private university. Dad loved bragging about it to all of our relatives. It gets old fast but I let him because he loves me.

Once we got outside, I noticed Sarah trailing behind taking pictures so I put an arm around her making sure she got caught up with everyone else.

"Hey, Hunter? You don't happen to know how to take a picture on this camera, do you?" she asked with a pleading tone. I sighed. Why did my siblings have to be so convincing?

"I'll show you when we sit down," I told her softly. "Now, come on. We're gonna be late."

She smiled thanking me as we went to go get our seats. I first saw Lorraine pointing to an imaginary watch when Dad waved at her. I chuckled. She looked gorgeous even in her graduation gown. When she saw me, she just about squealed despite us talking about it all week. I tugged down on Nora's hand-me-down green dress with a cute matching hair ribbon. I smiled at Kim and Jessica happy Mom had remembered that they loved headbands.

Mom moved aside for the littles to take their seats before sitting next to Henry. I moved past for Jake, Nora, and Bud to get to their seats. By this point, Mike, Kyle, and Nigel had already picked the first seats for our row. We took two empty seats as I remembered to save one for Charlie. Sarah had sat next to Jake, of course. I wanted to ask them about the skating competition they would be attending but at that point, the ceremony had already started.

Charlie ran to the empty seat next to me hugging me quickly and waving to everyone else. Everyone waved happy he was able to make it. I was especially happy. He had been emailing me back and forth for the past year asking me how college was. He spoke to me even more than Mom, Dad, or any of my other siblings. I didn't mind though. He was my best friend and I considered myself lucky to have him as a brother.

"Lorraine Baker," the principal announced as our sister walked across the aisle to receive her well-deserved diploma. I smiled cheering excitedly for her with my siblings. Dad, however, took excitement to a new level.

He jumped around screaming and putting up the number one signal. However, what can you expect? Not only is he part of a big family but he works in the Football industry. I simply shrugged as people stared at us. They didn't seem to be that judgemental though. Any father here would've been wanting to do the same thing.

~~~~~

After the graduation, I went to Lorraine's room knocking on her door so I could help her decide what she was wearing to her afterparty. She opened it and smiled when she saw me hugging me tightly as I kissed her shoulder.