Chapter One

Harry never expected to find himself ordering a latte from a local Doncaster coffee shop, nearly one hundred miles away from where he used to live. Harry had been struggling with his mental health, and with some encouragement from his best friend Zayn, decided to relocate to Doncaster.

"Harry, your latte is ready," the barista called out.

Harry offered a smile and a thank you before grabbing his cup and turning around. Harry looked around the coffee shop, seeing local university students huddle in groups, either studying or gossiping. All of the seats seemed to be taken, so the alpha found himself walking to the outdoor patio. Fall had arrived almost a week ago, and the air was brisk. The leaves were changing into shades of red and orange, something Harry loved to see. After stepping outside, Harry realized he was in the same situation with no tables being available. He then spotted one empty seat near the back of the patio, with a table being used by a man painting on a canvas.

As Harry walked over, he faltered as the sweet scent of the omega wafted over him. The scent was a mix of jasmine and vanilla. Harry's knees almost buckled, but he straightened himself up. Being an alpha, he's been faced with several omega scents in his lifetime. Some he found neutral, and others sweet, but not memorable. However, he'd never come across a scent so enticing before.

Harry walked up to the table and asked the seated omega, "Hi, do you mind if I sit here with you?"

The omega smiled up at the alpha and replied, "No, not at all."

Harry was immediately captivated by how stunning this omega was. Tan skin, brown hair swept to the side, and beautiful blue eyes. The next thing that caught Harry's eye was the painting perched up on the table. The painting was not finished, but seemed to incorporate a lake and trees during the fall season. Harry was fascinated that such a beautiful person could create a stunning image, and hold such talent. "Wow, you've painted this?" Harry asked.

The omega smiled a little and replied, "Yeah, I did. It's not quite finished yet. I'm almost there though, trying to get it done by this afternoon."

"Oh, I'm sorry for interrupting. I just had to comment because you're very talented." Harry seemed to notice the omega avoided eye contact and was mainly looking at the painting in front of him. Most alphas would consider this rude, but Harry assumed he was shy. "I should let you get back to your painting, but I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Harry, I'm new to the area," he greeted the omega and put his hand out to shake.

The omega turned towards his direction and offered a half smile. "I'm Louis. I've lived here my whole life. I hope you're liking Doncaster."

Harry began to feel awkward as Louis didn't return his handshake, and still was not offering any eye contact. Harry began to contemplate if he should comment on his lingering hand or take it back. Louis could feel the awkwardness since there was a long silence and furrowed his eyebrows. "Yes?" Then it dawned on him, a situation he's been in many times. "A handshake?" Louis stuck his hand out, still not meeting Harry's. "Sorry, I'm blind, so I didn't know your hand was out."

That makes so much sense, Harry thought. "Oh please don't apologize for that." Harry grabbed Louis' hand, wanting to melt into his touch. "You are very, very talented and I absolutely love your painting. I was actually wondering—"

"How I could be painting even though I'm blind?" Louis sharply interrupted. The omega painted in public very often, and he was faced with this conversation almost every outing. He understood the curiosity, but the repeated conversations and abrupt questions about his blindness made him irritated.

Harry looked taken aback and replied, "actually no... I was wanting to purchase your painting, if that's possible. Yes, I find it interesting you're able to paint so beautifully and be blind, but I assume you know what you're doing."