Chapter Three

Chapter Three

After more dances, glasses of wine, and kisses with Asher that should've never happened, I walk upstairs to go to bed.

   Today has been an insane day, I need to put it all to rest and actually get some rest.

   Next to my room is my new stepmother's room and I can't help but overhear her in there, she's so loud.

   I know my father is still downstairs, enjoying the party, so he's not in Sage's new room.

   Who could she be talking to?

   I place my ear up against the door and hear clearly. I may be a little drunk, but I can still understand words.

   "Mirror, mirror, on the wall, am I now this kingdom's most beautiful girl out of them all?" Sage says.

   Is she talking to a mirror and asking who the prettiest girl is?

   Weird.

   "Princess Snow White is the fairest of them all," a deep voice says, taking me off guard.

   Wait a minute, was my name just said? And I'm the prettiest girl in the White Kingdom? Why does Sage even care?

   I have no idea what's going on but I really wanna know.

   "Oh, no. No, no, no, no, no," Sage says and I can hear anger in her voice. "That little bitch is not going to be the prettiest girl in the land. I need to get rid of her, I have to be the fairest."

   "Come on, Sage. The mirror is bullshit. Let's just finish what we started," a different, manly voice laughs.

   "You stupid guard!" Sage yells. "I don't care about having sex with you right now, I need to figure out how to get rid of my new little stepdaughter. She can't be the fairest, I am."

   My eyes grow wide at her comments.

   She's having sex with a guard and not my father.

   Tonight's their first night as a couple and she's already cheating on him?

   I knew there was something off about her, I knew she was bad news, I knew she was too good to be true.

   And on top of the whole cheating stuff, she wants to get rid of me.

   What does that even mean? Is she going to try to make me leave this kingdom or is she going to try and kill me?

   Neither of these things is what I want to hear right now, it's like I'm in a nightmare.

   Maybe it's just the alcohol playing tricks on me.

   "I want to take her heart and crush it into a million tiny pieces. I want to see her gone, I want to see her dead. No one and I mean no one, will ever be fairer than me," my stepmother growls with anger.

   "She's just a little girl. You've got nothing to worry about. If I were the mirror, I'd say you're the prettiest girl I've ever seen. Now come on, come back to bed," The guard laughs and I hear a loud clank.

   I don't hear anything for a while but then Sage opens her mouth.

   "Oh, fine. But I get to be the one in control. I am the queen after all," she says and I can almost see the evil grin on her face.

   "Yes, Your Majesty," the guard says softly and I can assume they're about to get to action.

   "Snow! There you are! I've been looking all over for you," my maid says as she comes up to me, taking me away from Sage's door.