Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Just as Amelia said, spicy chicken is served for dinner and I bet it tastes great. I can't find myself to eat since Asher's bright blue eyes have been looking at me this entire time.

   There is so much history between us and I hate that things had to end. We've had plenty of good moments and I've had to let them go.

   Asher's wearing a black crewneck underneath a blue flannel and it's the exact outfit he wore the time we went to Neverland.

The ocean is calm at this time of night, with waves crashing peacefully onto the shore. It's a little chilly tonight and the wind breezes through my long black hair, creating knots.

   Asher has decided that a campfire in Neverland would be the perfect date night, and I couldn't agree more. With his hand in mine and my feet getting rushes of coolness as the sand sets in between my toes, everything is perfect.

   "I never want to let you go," Asher whispers and squeezes my hand.

   I laugh at my boyfriend. "You're stuck with me now, but if you and I are a story that never gets told, if what you and I are is a daydream I'll never get to hold, at least you'll know that I love you."

   Asher lets out a small laugh and kisses the top of my head. "I didn't understand a word you said, but I love you too."

   "Asher, I just don't want us to ever break up. What we have is so perfect," I smile then shiver as a large gust of wind comes through me.

   "Here, take this, you look cold," my boyfriend says and places his blue and black plaid flannel on my shoulders.

   My cheeks turn bright red, but luckily he can't see it in the darkness. I love the way he gives me butterflies as if it's our first date.

   We've been together for only seven months but I know he's my person. I smile knowing that everything I need is right here by my side, and he'll stay by my side forever.

"Snow," Lilah nudges. "King Liam asked you a question," she whispers.

   I bring myself back to reality and smile at the king of the Charming Kingdom. "I'm sorry, come again?"

   "I was just asking how you felt about Queen Sage being married to your father. It must be different having her there," King Liam says.

   "Um, it's nice. Sage is a wonderful stepmother," I lie and fake a smile.

   "That's great! And Brielle, how's everything in Wonderland?" the king asks.

   While the table keeps going on in conversation, I can't help but look at my ex. He's staring at me and I notice him nod to the side, motioning toward the hallway.

   Asher excuses himself to get up and I decide to follow.

   "What do you...?" I start as I step into the hallway.

   I don't get to finish my sentence as Asher grabs my hips and brings his lips close to mine. His tongue starts to make its way into my mouth and I want to accept it but I don't and push him away.

   "Asher, what was that? We're broken up, remember?" I say with my hands up in the air.

   "Sorry, Snow. I shouldn't have done that. But we need to talk," he says.

   My mind starts to race.

   He and I have done a lot of talking recently and it's always done more harm to our relationship than good.

   "Unless you've magically changed your mind and have decided to believe that Sage is out to kill me, I'm not talking to you," I tell Asher truthfully.

   There's no point in wasting my time.

   "The thing is Snow," he says and takes my hand, "I do believe you."

   My green eyes light up. "You do?"

   Asher lets out a laugh. "Yeah, I do. And I'm not saying it because I want to get back together with you. I'm saying it because I saw Sage cheat with my own eyes."

   My stomach sinks.

   How can Sage keep cheating on my father?

   I can't feel but be heartbroken for Father. He doesn't deserve her as his queen.

   But then again, if he won't believe me when I give him warning signs, maybe he does deserve her.

   "Snow, we can forget the past and start building our future. From now on, I'm on your side, no matter what," Asher says as my stomach starts nervously knotting up.

   "Asher, you say the past is in the past but do you honestly expect me to believe that we could ever be the same?" I ask. "When I told you that my life was in danger, you dismissed it. That's not okay, I was heartbroken, I mean, I still am,"

   I can feel tears starting to form in my eyes but I dry them before they fall. I don't want to cry in front of him.

   "Snow, I'm sorry that I abandoned you when you needed me most. I'm sorry that I made you feel like you don't matter because that's not true. You mean the world to me and I don't ever want to fight with you again. Every time we're apart, it feels like a part of me is missing and I can't stand it," Asher says, still holding my hand.

   "I don't know, Asher, this is all just so much to process," I start. "Of course, I'll always have love for you but it's hard. You say that you'd take it all back, given one chance, but is that enough?"

   My stomach is still full of nerves. I want to be with Asher more than anything but it's been so messy with him these past few months.

   Life isn't perfect, relationships aren't perfect, but are he and I too imperfect? Is there any point in trying to fix this? I don't know.

   "From now on, I promise to believe you. I'm on your side always, no matter what," Asher says.

   "You have one more chance, okay Asher? I can't keep doing this on-again-off-again thing," I laugh and squeeze his hand.

   "I promise you, you're not gonna regret giving me another chance. I'm gonna prove to you that I'm worth it. Us being together, it's worth it," Asher smiles.

   Our hands are locked together and it's a small gesture, but it's so intimate. I decide to get on my tiptoes and bring my face as close to his as possible so I can sneak one last kiss.

   His lips are kind, soft, and all that I need to fall into.

   I'm giving Asher one more chance right now and there's someone else who I'm also going to give one last chance.

   Tomorrow I'm going back to my kingdom and I'm going to talk to Sage. If she's still planning on killing me, she will have no more chances and I'm going to have to run away.

   I'm not telling Asher the plan, so right now I'm kissing him softly and sweetly, just the way he likes. He doesn't know that this is going to be our last kiss, but when he thinks back on it in the future, he's going to remember it as our best.

   "I love you, Asher Charming," I whisper as I pull away.

   "And I love you, Snow White. I always will," he whispers then sneaks in the final kiss.

   I keep my tears hidden so he doesn't know.

   With all of the fights, our love is stronger than ever, but it's not strong enough to save me from Sage. I hate that I have to run away from him, from us, but I have to do what's best for me.

   I'm just glad I get to leave him when we're still on good terms. I don't want him to regret anything, because I love him.