Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

After I see that the huntsman is long gone, I pick up my wooden basket and collect as many apples as I can, then head back towards the cottage.

   Today I got lucky. The man could've killed me at any instant, but something changed in him and I've made it out alive another day.

   I don't know why hiding away in a cottage full of seven dwarfs would make my stepmother forget about killing me. Of course, she still wants to kill me. I don't know why,

   I'm out of her hair and I have been for six months now. Why is she still jealous?

   I decide not to think too much about it and just walk as quickly as I can to the cottage. Flint doesn't like the idea of me roaming around the Enchanted Forest by myself, and now I know why. Sage is still out to get me.

♡♡♡♡

Once I crawl through the tiny door of my home, I set the basket of apples on the table and just take a moment to think.

   Sage is still out to get me. She still wants me dead. I hate that I still have to live in fear, even though all of this time has passed.

   I shiver at the thoughts.

   I'm scared and worried, and I feel like I don't know what to do. I thought it was the right decision to run and hide, but now I'm thinking I should've stood up and been brave. Thankfully, it's not too late to do that.

   When the dwarfs get home from work, I'm going to ask them if they can teach me how to fight. I need to be able to the next time that curly-haired huntsman comes around.

   For now, I can finish the apple pie and hope that my housemates will agree to turn me into a warrior.

♡♡♡♡

"This apple pie is delicious, Snow," Quert says as he wipes his brunette beard, getting all of the pie crumbs out of it.

   "I'm glad you like it," I start. "But um, about the pie, there was an incident when I went to pick the apples for it."

   Flint's hazel eyes widen at my words. "What do you mean incident?"

   "Please nobody freak out," I start and let out a sigh. "But when I went to go to that apple tree a half mile away, a huntsman found me."

   "Oh, a huntsman? I'm not panicking, they hunt animals, not humans, Snow!" Grub says and starts to laugh.

   I shake my head. "No, he wasn't a regular huntsman. He um, he told me he worked for the queen," I say as shivers run down my spine.

   Sage is a cold woman and even the mere thought of her makes my blood pressure drop. She's done so much to hurt me and she hasn't stopped trying. I hate it.

   "Snow, I told you not to stray from the cottage for too long," Flint says and scratches his head. "I knew Sage was still up to no good," he whispers.

   "So what else happened?" Barnaby asks.

   "Well, um, the man told me that he wasn't going to kill me. He told me that he wanted to deliver me to Sage so she could kill me herself," I explain, still feeling cold rushes down my spine.

   "And how'd you manage to come back to us?" Gus asks curiously.

   I let out a deep breath and tried to stop my hands from trembling. Thinking back to earlier today has my body shaking. "Um, I just talked him out of it. He let me go safely today, but he said I probably won't be so lucky the next time he sees me."