Chapter 35

The next days passed in a hazy blur of activity as preparations were being made and rapidly coming together. Thyra and Beocca had arrived in Coccham the day after the executions took place. Thyra had spent most of the first day holding her baby nephew and catching up with Gisela, Hild, and Faoladhean, while Beocca seemed to be Uhtred’s shadow, following him around as he attended to business and made sure things were moving along for Blood Month and winter preparation. Beocca seemed less than thrilled with the long-standing Pagan celebration, but had calmed considerably when Uhtred told him to think of it as just a wedding feast instead. No one had mentioned the executions, and it felt like a dirty secret to Faoladhean, though she had been doing her best to not dwell on it any longer.

“Faoladhean, what happened?” Thyra asked suddenly, in the middle of a conversation she’d been having with Hild.

“Hm?” Faoladhean had been listening in on the conversation between Finan, Uhtred, and Beocca regarding raids taking place in the north of Mercia, so she wasn’t expecting the question.

Thyra motioned to her own chin.

Sipping her ale, she caught Gisela’s gaze over the edge of her cup; Gisela gave her a slight shrug. Faoladhean set the cup down in front of her before looking back up to Thyra’s pale blue eyes. “It was just an accident while sparring in the training yard. I took a shield to the chin is all, and just had the sutures removed by the healer today, since Finan would noe help me do it at home.” She cracked a grin at Thyra’s look of horror.

“Did–was it painful?”

Faoladhean shrugged. “The sutures, or the initial injury?”

“The sutures! I have never needed them, and never thought to ask someone who has.”

“Really? Coming from a family of warriors, ye never thought to ask?” Faoladhean laughed at the sheepish look that crossed Thyra’s face, then placed her hand on top of Thyra’s with a gentle squeeze. “It was noe so much painful as it was irritating. A lot of pinching and pulling. Could’a been worse though.” Faoladhean had missed Thyra and her often random observations and interjections, and the unexpected question made her happy.                     

Seeming satisfied with Faoladhean’s answer, Thyra turned back to the conversation she and Hild had been engaged in. Faoladhean chuckled softly to herself; she truly had missed Thyra, but was extremely happy that she appeared to be doing so well in Wintanceaster. A brief image popped into her mind of Thyra and Beocca, hand in hand, tying the knot, and it made her smile until she began to question it. Did I just have a flash of the Future Sight? It had certainly felt like it, though it was nice to have a flash of something happy for a change. Faoladhean smiled to herself as she thought about it. Watching how Beocca fawned over Thyra and seemed to anticipate her every need, it wasn’t a stretch to think they would marry eventually.

“What are you smiling about, hm?” Gisela nudged Faoladhean, her eyes twinkling in the torchlight of the hall.

“Oh, just thinking about weddings.” Faoladhean smiled at her friend, but didn’t elaborate.

“Are you nervous for tomorrow?” Gisela was practically vibrating with excitement.

“Nervous?” She gave an incredulous snort. “No, should I be? It isn’t as if I’ve been sold off as a token of peace to some hideous old man in a hilltop fortress, now is it?” Faoladhean smirked at Gisela, whose eyes had gone wide for a moment before she broke into a giggle. “No, I am noe nervous. I am excited, happy,” she looked over at Finan as she spoke, “and just…in love.”

Gisela let out a little squeal and grabbed Faoladhean’s hands. “Oh I am so happy for you both! I mean, I have been happy for both of you, you suit each other so well, and the love you hold for one another is obvious. But there is just something fantastic about taking a husband, especially one you love, that is,” Gisela smiled as she glanced over her shoulder at Uhtred, “it is just different, in a way. Something about the connection that just feels deeper.”