Chapter 3~ Matt and Latte

A gust of wind blew Fern's ruffled fur as the three cats emerged from the shelter of the trees.
"Seriously?" Matt had hissed when Latte had invited her to come to the barn. "You're going to let this cat who could've killed me into our home?"

Latte hadn't hesitated. "Of course. She's hungry, and we have plenty of food to spare."
Fern rolled her eyes.
Those two.
A huge red barn lay in front of them, and she guessed that was their home.

"Welcome." Latte purred when they entered the barn.
The inside was huge!
"Our home is upstairs. Come."
She lead them up a ladder and into the loft.
Golden light shone through the holes and cracks in the roof and walls.
It smelled musty, and the rich scent of mice hung in the air.
Lots of mice.

"Help yourself." Latte meowed. "Matt and I are going down to get the food that the housefolk gave us, but I bet you probably prefer mice."
Fern nodded and Matt jumped to the ladder, wanting to get away from Fern as quick as possible, then the orange she- cat followed, leaving Fern to hunt.
A mouse scurried across the floor and hid behind a hay stack.
Food is here.

She dropped into a hunter's crouch and crept forward, completely silent.
She turned the corner around the hay stack as me saw exactly what she wanted, a fat, juicy mouse.
She jumped, landing squarely on its back. She delivered the killing bite and devoured it within a few heartbeats.

She was still hungry, so she looked around for more food. Some pigeons roosted on some beams supporting the roof.
Those look tasty. She thought.
Without hesitating, she launched herself up onto one of the higher Haybale's,  then she jumped to the next one, and the next, until she was high enough to be able to jump onto one of the beams.

She did it silently, and none of the dumb birds noticed.
She was about to pounce on one, when a meow sounded below her, sending all the pigeons flying.
"Hey, Fern!" It was Matt.
"You just scared away my lunch!" She exclaimed. Then lost her balance.
Wind rushed against her pelt. Her heart felt like it was in her throat.
She landed on a tightly rapped hay bail, and it was not soft.
She felt a sharp pain in her front left leg as the breath was taken right out of her, and the world spun around her.

Two blurry shapes were leaning over her.
"Matt, what happened?"
"I- I don't know. She just... fell."
"Fern, just rest. We'll take care of you."
Fern took a shuddering breath and let herself slip off into sleep.