Chapter 23~ Ashes

Ashpaw stood outside the forest. The morning sunlight soaked into her fur. She'd been coming to that spot everyday for a very long time- since Fernpaw had fallen over the edge of the cliff that was in front of her.

She'd seen everything happen. She'd seen Fernpaw fall. She'd seen Pineclaw hit the rock at the bottom. She'd seen the orange and white cat jump into the river and pull the unconscious Fernpaw out, saving her.

But something had stirred in Ashpaw that day. And ever since, she'd come to that same spot where she'd watched Fernpaw survive, to try to figure out what that feeling was. The feeling was almost guilt, because she'd been the one to tell Fernpaw to run, but also happiness that Fernpaw was still alive, and Ashpaw always hoped that one day she would see her friend again. But who knows when? Or how? Ashpaw sure didn't.

"Ashpaw?" A meow sounded behind her. She spun around to face Pouncepaw. Pouncepaw's dark brown pelt looked much lighter than what it really was in the morning sunlight. "Why do you always come here? I see you leave every morning."
"I- umm... I just like the view." She pointed at the fields and trees. A light mist had settled, leaving streaks of gold as the sun snuck it's rays around the trees.
"It is quite pretty, isn't it?" He sat down beside her.

"Yes." She let out a small sigh of relief that he'd accepted it.
"Do you think about your brother a lot?"
Ashpaw took a step back, as if the question had knocked the breath out of her. She missed Boulderpaw terribly. Her only littermate had been murdered by a fluffy black tom a few days after he was apprenticed. Ashpaw had blamed it on Fernpaw for a while, but later she'd changed her mind.

"Yes." Her voice quivered as she spoke. But she managed to keep her head high as she continued. "I know he wouldn't want me to be broken and useless though."
"I'm sure he misses you. But he's safe in Starclan."
But what about all the other things he'll miss out on?! He'll never get his warrior name... and he won't be there when I get mine.

She lowered her head for a few heartbeats. Boulderpaw deserved a moment of silence.
But a strong scent filled the air about halfway through. Her pelt began to feel warm- warmer than it should- and when she lifted her head, she saw little grey specks fluttering around her.
"Ashes?" She mewed. The she looked behind her.
The pine forest was ablaze.

Fire?!! Moonclan is on fire!
"Pouncepaw! Moonclan is on fire!"
"Wha-" His eyes widened. "That fire is getting really close to Treeclan..."
Ashpaw nodded, stood, and ran. She had to get back to warn her clanmates!