Chapter 13

Damon

How's the little spit fire doing?

Aelynn stared at her phone, her eyes squinting at the screen that was on the lowest brightness in her dark room. Jeremy and Elena had insisted on making sure she was kept in low stimulation environments since they had figured out she wasn't feeling great after hitting her head. She had to talk Jenna out of taking her to the ER, only managing when she could prove she wasn't having a hard time remembering anything and not stumbling over her words.

Damon, in what she assumed wasn't his nature, had been texting with the girl to make sure she was alive and well. Maybe it served some ulterior motive, but frankly, it hurt her to think to hard about it.

Spit Fire

in pain

She groaned as she set her phone down. Elena had come in to let her know that Sheriff Forbes wanted to talk to them about Vicki's disappearance. She had offered to let the sheriff know that she wasn't feeling good and couldn't come be questioned but Aelynn had insisted that she was in fact totally fine.

Aelynn glanced over at the clock and saw the time. She had ten minutes before they would leave for the station. She slowly got herself up from her bed and trudged over to her dresser. She kept on her plaid pajama pants and then put on a clean football sweatshirt she had gently misappropriated from Matt her freshman year. She tied her hair back into a loose ponytail and let out a heavy sigh before leaving her room.

"Hey," Elena said softly to her, walking towards her room, "I was just about to get you." She handed something to her, which Aelynn just looked at with a blank expression. "Sunglasses. I know you're light sensitive right now. And since you insist that you can do this, you'll need these."

Aelynn raised her eyebrows and gave her sister a nod before taking the shades and putting them on.

"I better be in the front seat," she breathed as Jeremy came walking down the steps.

"How is she? Is she good?" Jeremy asked Elena, thinking his oldest sister couldn't hear him.

She started to walk outside, "I'm concussed, not deaf, dumbass." She lazily flipped the both of them off as she walked to the car.

Jeremy and Elena shared a looked, "she's fine," Jeremy concluded, now following after.

Damon

rest

She looked at her phone, chuckling to herself at the text as she got into Elena's car.

Spit Fire

no

She pressed send and closed her eyes once the car started to move. She figured driving anywhere would be easier if she wasn't able to see the movement. And she was right because the car ride to the police station felt much shorter with her nap. Now all that was left was to sit in the uncomfortable chairs and wait to be questioned.

_ _ _

Sheriff Forbes looked at Aelynn with a worried expression, "oh, honey, you really didn't need to come in for this."

She gave a half shrug, "I mean, Vicki is important to Jeremy and she's Matt's sister. If there's anything that I-I," she paused when she stuttered, "that I can do to help, I want to."

"Well," the sheriff breathed, "was there any strange behavior Vicki was showing before she left?"

Aelynn shook her head, "not that I remember, just jittery, I think, but that was normal."

"Any signs of aggression or violence?"

"No, she was still pleasant to be around," she admitted, "I never had any problems with her like that."