2

I stand behind the counter at work, sighing in boredom as I tap my fingers against the marble. A few people ambled around the small shop, picking up things, scanning them. 

I walked over to the back to restock when I heard the chime of the front door of the corner shop open. I peaked around and my heart dropped when Antony Barbosa came into my vision. The smile on my face slowly turned into a frown and it’s like my whole week has been ruined. 

I haven’t seen him in a few weeks. Fernanda’s brother. And, here he is. Followed by some of his mates as he chews on his gum and walks through the shop, picking up random items and throwing it back for his friends to catch. I sigh, rubbing my face as I know exactly what’s going on. 

He’s robbing me. And I know he’s probably hiding a knife under the big coat that was wrapped around his body or a gun tucked into the waistband of his joggers. I take a deep breath and step out from the backroom, rubbing my hands together as I walk over to the counter, watching Antony’s every move. 

He whistles as he walks through the aisles, pushing people out of the way as he picks up some crisps, ripping it open. I sighed, running my hands all over my face. “Are you gonna pay for that?”  

Antony stops walking. His back is facing me and I watch as he slowly turns around, a raise in his eyebrow. I gulp. "What?" He scoffed, and I blinked multiple times. 

"The crisps. Are you gonna pay for it?" I asked him, flattening my hands on the counter. "It doesn't cost that much."

"Have I ever paid for it in the past?" He asked, and I sigh, licking my lips as I look in the corner of my eye and see one of his friends sniding at a shopper. 

“I’d prefer it if you paid for it.” I lick my lips, not trying to keep too much eye contact with him. 

“Cadela.” He murmurs under his breath, and I frown. Fernanda has used that word many times, and I know exactly what it means. “I haven’t got time for your shit.” He says, louder. 

“Whatever.” I murmur under my breath, just as my phone begins to ring from the top of the counter. I sigh as I look down and see Tom’s name pasted on top of the screen. I quickly answer, pressing my phone to my ear. “Yeah?” 

“You know about the bonfire, tonight, right?” Tom asked me, out of breath from his evening run. “It’s at the park at eight. Will you be home before that?” 

“Yeah, I will. Isn’t that kinda illegal? I thought the council didn’t allow fires?” I asked, referring to the field near the council estate we live in. There were very strict rules about what was and wasn't allowed in our block, but our community didn’t care. 

I guess that’s one thing I like about where we live. The community. Everyone knows everyone and everyone loves each other. Like today, we’ll have a bonfire and burn random shit and everyone will be smiling and laughing, sharing their booze. It’s fun. It’s nice. We’re all one huge, dysfunctional family. 

“Has that ever stopped us in the past?” Tom laughed, and I shook my head, even though he couldn't see me. 

“Okay. Yeah, I’ll be there.” I said, but most of my focus was on Antony and his goons as they were cackling with each other before they approached the door of the shop. My jaw clenches in anger as Antony turns around, smirking in a sniding, mocking tone before he lightly shakes the packet in his hands and opens the door, leaving. “Fucking hell.” I mumble, rubbing my forehead. 

“What’s wrong?” Tom asked. 

“Nothing- it’s just the Barbosa’s up to their usual shit.” I tell him, shrugging my shoulders. I don’t let my friend’s family get to me that much, but it gets increasingly difficult when I have to deal with this shit all the time.   

“Oh, fuck them.” Tom says. “Ask Fernanda tell them to back off of you. I’m sure they’ll listen to her.” 

Right.” I murmur sarcastically. “Alright, I’ve got some customers, Tom. I’ll see you at the bonfire.” I say, just as a woman approaches the counter. I hang up after Tom says goodbye, shoving my phone into my pocket and serving the customer in front of me.