Chapter Thirteen

Jenny and Phineas were whispering to each other about something so Evalynn went to get a drink of water. She perked up when she heard Lettie and the others coming down the hall. Evalynn walked to the door, but Phineas was faster and was blocking them from coming in.

"Mr. Phineas! Lord that lady can sing!"

"I know."

Tom smiled. "Do you think she likes a man in uniform?"

"I'm sure she does. What are you doing here? You have a show in an hour okay."

Evalynn was wondering what his problem was. Why wasn't he letting them in.

"Thats enough time for us to have at least 3 drinks right?" Lettie tried to push past him but he blocked the door again.

"Look were already very crowded in here and I can't have you mingling."

Lettie tried to push past him again.

"Who's going to pay admission if your out there for all to see? Alright have a good show."

He shut the door in there faces and Evalynn stood there staring at him.

"What?" Phineas asked.

"Why did you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Send them away! They are a part of this family they should be allowed in here. And its so not fair that you sent them away but let me in."

"Look you're different than the rest of them."

"Theyre my family. If you dont let them in I'm leaving!"

At that point everyone was staring at them.

"If you leave then your not my daughter anymore."

She just stared at him in disbelief. She couldn't believe he just said that.

"Evalynn I'm sorry. I didn't mean that."

She sighed. "Yes you did."

There was a moment of silence and she walked away. Phineas called after her and she turned around.

"What?"

"Are you really walking away?"

"Yes. I am." She left. She was crying and ran through the halls. She found the group and explained what happened.

"Come stay at the museum tonight."

They all walked through the halls not caring if anyone saw them. They got to the museum and decided to write another song. It was called This Is Me.

"I am not a stranger to the dark. Hide away, they say. Cause we dont want your broken parts." Lettie sang.

"I've learned to be ashamed of all my scars. Run away, they say. No one will love you as you are." Evalynn sang.

"But I wont let them break me down to dust. I know that theres a place for us. For we are glorious."

They all joined in and were singing together.

"When the sharpest words wanna cut me down
I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown 'em out
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I'm meant to be, this is me
Look out 'cause here I come
And I'm marching on to the beat I drum
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apologies, this is me"

Philip arrived at the show. He came in search for Anne. He wanted to apologize before the show started but it would have to wait until after.

"Another round of bullets hits my skin
Well, fire away 'cause today, I won't let the shame sink in." Tom sang.

"We are bursting through the barricades and
Reaching for the sun (we are warriors)
Yeah, that's what we've become (yeah, that's what we've become)"

They sang the chorus and danced and did tricks two more times and then the crowd erupted into cheers. After the show they all cozied in for the night. Julia and Evalynn found a small room off to the side to sleep in so they could hold each other. They heard a knock on the door and Evalynn got up to see who it was. It was Philip.

He looked at her and then Julia and then back to Evalynn.

"I'm sorry its not what it looks like."

"You think I didn't know already?"

"What?"

"Its kind of obvious that you two like each other."

Julia stood up. "Philip you cant tell anyone."

"Don't worry. Your secret is safe with me."

He came in the room and they all sat down. "So whats with the late night visit."

"I want to make it up to Anne. She's always wanted to go the theatre, but I know she wont go if I ask."

"Eva could get Phineas to get her a ticket and not tell her about the second one."

Evalynn looked at the ground. "Phineas and I aren't speaking right now. But I could get the ticket and tell her he left it for her."

"Okay thank you. What happened between you and P.T.?"

Evalynn told him and he looked mad. "He had no right saying that to you."

"Well I cant do anything about it. I just hope he comes to his senses."

They went to bed. The next week was like that. They hardly saw Phineas and when he was around Evalynn ignored him. Charity came by the circus to see Evalynn.

"He misses you, you know."

"I know. I just cant get over how easily he said that."

"Well, you'll always be my daughter no matter what he says."

Whispers about Phineas going on tour with Jenny spread through the circus. Philip had his date with Anne so he left. Phineas tried to talk to Evalynn before he left but she refused. She had gone back to the house to stay with Charity while Phineas was gone. Julia had come over as well to make sure Evalynn was okay.

Charity kept watching the two of them interact with each other. Evalynn had no idea what she would do if she found out so they went out to the woods to hang out.

Julia started singing. "We keep behind closed doors
Every time I see you, I die a little more
Stolen moments that we steal as the curtain falls
It'll never be enough."

"As you drive me to my house
I can't stop these silent tears from rolling down
You and I both have to hide on the outside
Where I can't be yours and you can't be mine." Evalynn sang.

"But I know this, we got a love that is homeless. Why can't I hold you in the street?
Why can't I kiss you on the dance floor?
I wish that it could be like that
Why can't it be like that? 'Cause I'm yours
Why can't I say that I'm in love?
I wanna shout it from the rooftops
I wish that it could be like that
Why can't it be like that? 'Cause I'm yours."

"It's obvious you're meant for me
Every piece of you, it just fits perfectly
Every second, every thought, I'm in so deep
But I'll never show it on my face." They both sang.

They sang the chorus again and then it was time for the bridge.

"I don't wanna live love this way."

"I don't wanna hide us away."

"I wonder if it ever will change."

"I'm living for that day, someday."

After that they sang in unison again.

"When you hold me in the street
And you kiss me on the dance floor
I wish that we could be like that
Why can't we be like that? 'Cause I'm yours, I'm yours"

They sang the chorus one last time and then sat underneath a tree. They heard Helen and Caroline running towards them so they pulled away from
each other.

"Eva can we go shopping! We haven't hung out in so long!"

"Of course we can lets go."

And then the four of them went out.