Ch.8: Gambling

"It sounds like bait to establish a connection trace," Qui-Gon stated.

He and Zara were talking with Obi-Wan.

"I think we're already being traced. If they're smart, they will have traced the message to the ship," Zara said. "We must get off this planet as quickly as possible."

While they told him they stayed at a local's home during the storm, Obi-Wan told them that Governor Bibble had sent a transmission telling them to contact him, describing how the people were getting tortured.

"What if it is true, and the people are dying?" Obi-Wan said.

"Either way, we're running out of time," Qui-Gon said.

"Talk to you soon," Zara said.

Qui-Gon disconnected the comlink and they walked back into the living room.

They found out the mother's name was Shmi Skywalker, and Zara noted she was one of the kindest people she'd ever met in the entire galaxy.

She was kind, gentle, and generous, and yet, she was very sad. Zara hated that slavery still existed in the galaxy. It was just so cruel and wrong.

They settled down for the meal. Shmi's food was simple, yet excellent.

"-all slaves have a transmitter placed inside their bodies somewhere," Shmi was explaining to them as they finished their food.

"I've been working on a scanner to try and locate mine," Anakin said.

"What would you do with it once you've found it?" Zara asked.

"I don't know. First, I'm working on getting the scanner to work," he shrugged.

"Any attempt to escape-" Shmi continued.

"-and they blow you up!" Anakin finished. "Boom!" he added for effect, slamming his palm gently on the table.

"How wude!" JarJar stated, slurping his drink loudly.

"I can't believe there's still slavery in the galaxy!" Padmé said, "The Republic's anti-slavery laws-"

"The Republic doesn't exist out here," Shmi stopped her gently, "we must survive on our own."

With a loud slurping noise, JarJar grabbed a fruit from the bowl on the table with his tongue and pulled it loudly into his mouth.

Everyone's eyes fell on him. He looked around, gulped the fruit down, and said: "Xcuse me."

"Has... anybody ever seen a Podrace?" Anakin asked, changing the subject.

While Padmé and Zara shook their heads, Qui-Gon said: "They have Podracing on Malastare. Very fast, very dangerous."

"I'm the only human that can do it," Anakin said proudly.

"You must have Jedi reflexes if you race pods," Qui-Gon said.

Zara eyed him warningly. She knew what he had in mind and, honestly, she could feel it too: the boy was very strong in the Force, but he was too old. Clearly, the Council had missed him when searching for Force-sensitive children.

JarJar's tongue sprouted out towards the fruit bowl, but Qui-Gon caught it in between his two fingers.

"Don't do that again," he said sternly, before pulling his tongue slightly and then letting it go.

JarJar blubbered.

Zara's eyes were riveted upon Anakin, observing him.

"You're a Jedi Knight, aren't you?" he asked Qui-Gon.