Ch.9: The Boonta Race.

"I wanna see your spaceship the moment the race is over!" Watto chuckled as he, Qui-Gon, and JarJar walked through the hangar in which all the pods were getting ready for the race.

"Patience, my blue friend. You'll have your winnings before the suns set," Qui-Gon said, "and we'll be far away from here."

"Not if your ship belongs to me, I think, huh?" Watto laughed. "I warn you, no funny business."

"You don't think Anakin can win?" Qui-Gon said, daringly placing his hands on his hips.

"Don't get me wrong, no," Watto said, "I have great faith in the boy. He's a credit to your race, but, uh, Sebulba there is going to win, I think." he pointed at the purple dug, who was getting massaged by two blue-skinned Twi'leks.

When JarJar noticed him, he let out a very loud "Oh, no!"

Qui-Gon ignored him. "Why do you think that?" he asked.

"He always wins!" Watto laughed. "I am betting heavily on Sebulba."

"I'll take that bet," Qui-Gon said.

"You what?"

"I'll wager my new racing pod, against, say... the boy and his mother."

"No pod is worth two slaves, not by a long shot!" Watto said, and his demeanor turned defensive.

"The boy, then."

"Hmm. Well, uh..." the Toydarian said, stroking his chin, "we'll let fate decide, huh?" He pulled out a dice with red and blue sides. "I just happen to have a chance cube here. Blue, it's the boy. Red...his mother."

Qui-Gon nodded. Watto threw the dice, and just as it was about to land on red, Qui-Gon willed the Force to make it land on blue.

Watto clenched his jaw.

"You won this small toss, outlander, but you won't win the race! So it makes little difference!" he said, before flying away.

Behind him, three creatures knelt down on the ground.

At first, Zara was alone. After hopping off, she helped Anakin and Padmé climb off the second's back, while Shmi and Kitster unmounted the last one. They had been pulling Anakin's pod from the Skywalker residence to the hangar.

The red-headed woman eyed Qui-Gon with a raised eyebrow as if to say "Gambling? Seriously?" She'd overheard the conversation from afar. She had a keen sense of hearing.

Qui-Gon simply sent her a smile that said "What are you talking about?"

Zara sighed. She felt like Qui-Gon was being unreasonable, and yet, something was telling her to trust him. It was bizarre, but she trusted her feelings.

Watto approached Anakin.

"Better stop your friend's betting or I'll end up owning him too," he said.

Zare tilted her head to the side, silently asking Anakin what he'd said, but the boy just rolled his eyes and shrugged.

Near Anakin's pod, R2-D2 and C-3PO had been talking. 

"Space travel sounds rather perilous," the protocol droid said.

R2 beeped.

"I can assure you, they will never get me onto one of those dreadful starships."

"This is so wizard, Ani!" Kitster said excitedly. "I'm sure you'll do it this time!"

"Do what?" Padmé asked.

"Finish the race, of course," Kitster replied.

"You've never won a race?" she asked disbelievingly.