𝟔𝟓.

𓆩⫯𓆪

𓆩⫯𓆪

Jungkook could see the apprehension in Jieun's eyes as she looked out the window from the passenger seat. He had parked in front of her house, but she didn't seem ready to get out of the car just yet. He knew that she was probably dreading facing her father again, after everything it had happened. During the ride, he tried to offer some words of encouragement, telling her that everything would be okay since it was Mr. Lee's decision, according to her mother's words.

But he could tell that she was still hesitant. 

Finally, after a few moments of silence, she took a deep breath and opened the car door. As she stepped out onto the sidewalk, Jungkook couldn't help but feel proud of her for facing her fears. It seemed like she really wanted to get better after all.

"I'll be right here, okay?" he told her.

Jieun smiled in response. She didn't say it, though it was her way of telling him she was grateful for that.

As soon as she stepped into the house, she found Mrs. Lee already in the living room. Her mother didn't utter a single word, but the anxiety in her eyes spoke volumes. Just then, her father emerged from the kitchen, and she was relieved to see him after weeks of being apart.

 "Jieun," he whispered.

Swallowing hard, she replied, "Dad."

Although he was smiling again, his face was a rigid, inflexible mask that was fixed and yet still managed to carry a hundred and one emotions. He could see, too, that his daughter felt the same way. She was perhaps angry at him, hurt, and upset. The more she tried to keep her expression steady, the more obvious it was for him to realize he had messed up big time.

A wave of guilt and regret spread across his entire body as his lips began to move to speak, but she surprised him by speaking first.

Her eyes narrowed faintly over his face. "Forgive me."

When her words sank in, nothing could stop the lone tear from escaping from his eye. "If you forgive me first."

Jieun's head jerked up, seeing her father approaching her cautiously. Then, when his arms touched her shoulder, she felt incapable of maintaining her cold expression and accepted his hug.

"Welcome back," he muttered.

Just like with her mother, Jieun broke down. The warmth of her parents' embrace gave her a whole new purpose in life. They were sorry. She was sorry. And that was a start. Mr. Lee squeezed her as if he were afraid she would run out of that door again. He broke the hug to touch her face and wiped her tears with his thumbs, allowing himself to cry as well, and used the opportunity to keep saying how much he was sorry. And how he would've done things differently if they had another chance.

Grateful, Jieun smiled, glancing over her shoulder. "There's someone outside... someone who's important to me... If you accept him here, you'll make me happier than I am now."