05 || Unstable Emotions

// for Sev who made the new cover and for being a lovely supporter //

Shoutout to frailflowers who noticed what I'm trying to do with this story! I'm trying to explore the negative sides to characters because what I've noticed on wattpad is that a lot of the main characters are sugar-coated. Their flaws MUST affect them somehow in their lives so I'm really trying to bring that out.

Also, check out Worth The Fight by beautlies and Through His Eyes by felicitate. They are such lovely books and they deserve all the support that they can get! Support them in the wattys!

And if it wasn't clear in the last chapter: Juniper is adopted and she is white. Her adoptive parents are black. I really thought that the contrast in race would bring out equalty a little more.

(those who have read Tainted Guilt before, Miles Miller pops up in this chapter but there's really no link between DH and TG)

E N J O Y !

_ _ _ _ _

CHAPTER FIVE
Unstable Emotions

Where on earth did Juniper disappear to?

They had both entered the house together and immediately the stale smell of sweat, heat and alcohol whirled in the air they inhaled. Dimitri had turned his head to scan the crowd to see if he spotted a certain dark haired girl. When he did not see Amanda anywhere within his sight his heart lifted and he breathed out a sigh of relief.

He turned his attention back to Juniper about to ask her to dance with him and save him from embarrassing himself if he danced by himself. He was definitely not a good dancer and Juniper was the one of the best.

But she was no where in sight either. He scanned the crowd once more, this time searching for a different girl. She brought him here. She can't just abandon him.

A few moments later he gave up and headed towards the food table. He picked up a solo cup and filled it with punch. He drank down all the punch in one go, letting the liquid burn his throat. Instantly, he knew it was not punch. It certainly did not taste like punch. It tasted bittersweet and better than punch. And Dimitri poured himself more cups until he could take no more.

His eyes shifted to the dance floor and excitement flooded him. Moving closer to the mob of bodies, he thrust his body in odd angles trying to dance. Let's just face; he can't dance to even save his lift.

He felt a hand a hand lay itself on his chest and he looked up and found a drunken girl, her eyes glowing as she stared at his tall figure. "Don't you look dashing tonight," she slurred.

Disgusted by the girl's behaviour he pushed her away and finally reached the couches. He had thought of dancing but there was no need to embarrass himself further. Hopefully no one saw his attempt to dance a few seconds earlier.

He may have felt a little heavy-headed and a little drunk but he still had his sanity very much intact. Why did he come here? He had absolutely nothing to do. He was not about to drink away his sorrows. No, he was not going to end up like his uncle, Miles Miller. His uncle had been chucked into the loony bin because Miles had somehow escaped sanity. The guilt inside had finally cracked Miles and turned him into a mad man. Dimitri did not want to end up like his uncle. His uncle was a very bad example. Just like his sister; Dimitri's mother.

Where the hell is Juniper? he thought as his eyes scanned the crowd once more. And then he froze, the colour from his face draining away as his eyes met a horrific scene.