Friends, Some Unexpected, and Ones who are always There

“He won’t wake up until I let him.”

Annie jumps and spins with wide eyes, her arms coming up defensively in front of her but she sees nothing. On edge now, she slowly rises to her feet and turns in a circle, looking around the neat rows of herbs and plants to find the source of the voice.

“Who’s there..?”

“A friend.”

“If you’re a friend then why are you hiding?” Annie turns again but still she sees nothing. Even reaching out with her powers there’s nothing. “And what have you done to my brother?”

"Because he is not to know I'm here I… influenced him to sleep. What I have to say is for you only."

Annie lowers her arms slightly, brow furrowing as she looks around again feeling an invasive tickle in the back of her head. She shook it off and lifted her arms once more.

"Why should I trust you, or anything you have to say when you won't even show yourself?" An airy laugh sounds from behind her and she turns, pushing out with her powers but there's no one there. "I should scream. Alert the other ghouls. They'd be here in moments."

"They won't come. Not while I'm here. If it will ease your mind, however, I will show myself." There's a sigh and she feels a change of pressure in the air followed by a familiar presence. "I was supposed to remain unseen even by you, but I doubt Alé will mind."

Before her eyes the air visibly shimmers and swirls like a multi-faceted mist that slowly solidifies into a form of a masked ghoul. He towered over her - taller than Kali but shorter than Mountain - and broad across the shoulders donned in a uniform composed of black dress pants and a high necked black shirt with embroidery along his torso to the right of the silver buttons that lined down the middle depicting alchemic symbols for the elements. He had a fascia around his waist similar to one Copia wore with his cassock with another symbol on the end of it, but what drew most of her attention was his mask. It was similar to the one her friends wore. Horned and silver, but unlike theirs his covered his entire mouth ending in a point, and it was a matte tone rather than the shiny chrome she was used to. Behind the eye holes she caught sight of glowing deep purple eyes and her own widened in recognition.

“Omega?”

The ghoul’s eyes crinkled with his hidden smile and he gave a slight bow. “At your service, M’Lady.”

Annie relaxed her stance, arms falling to her side as she stared at him in shocked wonder. “What are you doing here?”

“Aside from checking on you? I’m here to tell you where and when to meet Alessandro on Tuesday. Have you forgotten the full moon?” He asks at her confused expression.

“I’ve been…stressed. It slipped my mind.”

“Hence why I’m here.” Omega steps closer, Annie tilting her head up to look at him, and when he reaches out she flinches slightly but it doesn’t deter him. He takes a gentle hold of her shoulder and turns her around until she’s facing the forest, his other arm coming up to point at a path that leads into the trees. “Deeper than the clearing they held the Beltaine festivities there’s a second clearing hidden by a cropping of boulders. Follow the path to the right down to the pool. It is there, at midnight, that we will meet you.”

“Why there?”

“Because there is where it will be safe from more than prying eyes.” Omega removes his hand from her shoulder and steps back, Annie turning to face him when he does. “My task is complete. I must return to the shadows.”

“Must you?”

Annie sees his eyes soften, hinting at a smile. “I must. My Papa needs me and if I am discovered by the wrong people… well. It would not be good. You and Vincenzo are the only ones I trust to keep my secret.”