Chapter nineteen

We walked along the old pier. The old wood creaked under the weight of our steps. In the meantime, a heavy rain started. Cold droplets sprinkled my bare shoulders. My dress was completely soaked, my hairstyle was ruined, but I didn't have to worry about my make-up as it was waterproof. My face didn't melt. A cold wind was blowing from the sea. I got goosebumps and shivered. Samael took off his jacket and gallantly threw it over me like a proper gentleman so I wouldn't get cold. The night sky was overcast with dark clouds blacker than the night itself. We didn't talk. The whole time we were as silent as the grave and kept each other company.

I leaned against the flimsy wooden railing, which was marked by time and nature. It bent dangerously under my weight until I felt like it would break apart and I would end up in the raging waves. I looked into the distance at the vague horizon line - the sea and the sky merged into a single black veil. The light of the street lamps was far away, so it was dark there. I walked only by the sound of the lapping of the sea below me and actually all around.

In the end, it was Samael who broke the painful silence lying between us. "So you left him," he said.

"Yes," I confirmed.

"Because of me?" he asked in an amused tone. Even though I couldn't see his face, I could tell he was smirking.

"Don't give yourself more importance in my life than you have, dear Samael." I tried not to show how his question smashed me. My heart raced. Silently, I begged it to calm down. The drumming of the rain was deafening. But I'm sure he saw through my pretense.

"You hurt my feelings, dear Arya," he said theatrically, clutching his heart.

I laughed.

Samael gently grabbed my chin and turned me to face him. He gave me a quick kiss on the lips. "We both know the truth anyway, dear Arya," he said, kissing me more passionately and fiercely. It got my blood pumping. My nerves were experiencing a burst of energy. I longed for his touch.

I didn't answer that. I couldn't tell the truth and anything else would be a lie. In his presence, my desires gained control over me and my behavior sufficiently expressed the true truth - I can't be with anyone else when I see parts of him everywhere I look when all I can think about is him. He once said he didn't want to share me - now I give him that.

I am his.

Only his.