The broken bond

Tuesday 21st  May

10:24AM
They got in the car and drove back, back to who knows where. Kayla couldn't face seeing Ruby yet but she also didn't want to go home. Parker just wanted to go where she would go and make sure she was ok.

RING RINGGG 'Kayla Cooper, explain to me why I've gotten a call from your school saying you aren't there???' It was her mother. She sounded angry, mad, she sounded like she wanted to kill someone, that someone was Kayla.

'Mum I can explain.. I felt sick and I-' Kayla tried to answer, she got scared, she's never heard her mothers voice sound like that, Parker noticed and held her hand as he pulled the car over.

'NO I don't want to hear it, get back home right now and you'll explain it here. Be here in less than 10 minutes.' -ended call-

Kayla just laid her phone in her lap and burst into tears. She hadn't felt that type of happiness in a while, and it got ruined. She knew she wasn't  allowed to skip school, but she just needed a break, a break from everything.

'Hey.. hey it's alright, I'll drive you back there' Parker said as he pulled her in for a hug. 'It's okay..' she just needed to hear those words.

Parker understood exactly what she was feeling, little did Kayla know, his father and her mother were very similar. But he didn't want to make it about him, instead he just wanted to comfort Kayla in a way that he wanted to feel comforted from the way his father treated him.

10:42AM
He drove her back outside her house, 'you'll be ok, if you need anything just give me a call' Kayla knew that Parker would always be there for her.

'Thank you' she hugged him once again, they both needed the hug. She got out the car and walked up to the door of her house, watching Parker drive away, knowing he was looking at her through the rear mirror.

As she opened the door, she walked in to see her mother pacing back and forth, with her father sitting down on the table, hands in his face, he looked up to see Kayla standing there. 'Samantha, she's here.' He said, disappointment growing on his face.

'About time! Are you insane? I did not raise you to be like this!' Her mother was furious. Kayla didn't blame her, she was mad at herself.

'I'm sorry' that's all she could say. It's all she could think of.

'Sorry doesn't cut it. Go upstairs to your room I don't want to you to come down until dinners ready, you will be doing your homework and if you've done it all then study the subjects that you skipped out on today. I do not want you to be sitting there doing nothing. I don't even want to see your face. Get away from me. You are not my child.' Kayla walked up the stairs heading to her room. She could her her mother and father starting to talk as she left.

'Sam, you need to go easy on her, maybe there's something going on at school?' Her dad was always trying to make things right.. but it wasn't going to work today.

'Thomas.. I'm trying to help her. But how can I possibly help her if she's acting like this. I don't want her acting like me when I was her age. You know how I was, sneaking out.. hanging with the wrong type of people.. I almost got arrested!'

Samantha Cooper had a tough life growing up, but she had met Thomas at the start of college and it changed everything for her. She always told herself that if she had children of her own, she would make sure that they didn't turn out like she did before she met Thomas. She wanted the perfect family, but by doing so that would mean she would control her kids. Especially her daughter.

In every vision Kayla had of her mum living a life where she didn't exist, it was the happiest she ever saw her mother.

Samantha tried to ignore her teenage years and by doing so she ignored her daughters' teenage years too. She ignored Kayla's entire life. I mean sure, she was there for her and was still her mother, but she didn't actually involve herself in Kayla's life. She has no idea what Kayla was up to.

Instead of talking to her daughter and trying to make her feel better, she shut her out. Made her go to her room. Locked her away from reality.

'The mother-daughter bond is like no other. You fight, you make up, you laugh, you cry. It's a soul connection that never dies.'

Unfortunately that bond never existed for Kayla. They did fight, they did make up, they never laughed, and she did the crying and that was because of her mother and how she treated her. It's a soul connection that died as soon as she was born.

All she ever wanted was a mother, she had Lucy Wilson. But with her and Ruby in a fight, she won't be seeing much of Lucy for a while. Maybe never seeing her. Ever.

She just wanted someone. Someone to talk to about everything.