Part Two - 02 | Rebellion Of The Unjust

You're being watched.

Linia hums a little tune as she walks ahead of you into and out of the streets of Ranoa. As usual she's got her arms behind her head, chin tilted up, a little smile on her face — but you can't quite see the whole of it.

A month ago, you would not be seeing her in this state: carefree and happy. Instead, she'd likely be threatening you again, holding you by your neck, hissing in your face while you cower there against your will because you're afraid of what might happen to you if you fight back.

It's a breath of fresh air to learn that she wasn't that strong after all. You're still not one to stroke your own ego, but you've got this cat on a leash. You smile to yourself, losing yourself in the thought. Ah, yes, power... prestige... control...

"Oi, you good back there, Boss?" Linia's voice snaps you out of your brief daydream in an instant. Your eyes dart to her and then back down at your feet, watching the brick pathway fade away under your stride. She's easily caught onto your trancelike state.

"Yeah," you manage to say. Linia slows down to match your pace, walking beside you.

"Hmm, you know, Boss... hanging around you is pretty sweet."

You don't expect it but her tone is sincere. Though she's not looking at you as she speaks, you can hear the genuineness of her words. There is a split second where she glances at your reaction but ends up focusing on the road ahead right after anyway.

"Don't give me that look," she groans. "I know we're just taking a walk together. But still — I guess I feel kinda, err, powerful when I'm with you. If only I'd met you sooner, nya-ha."

"Nothing would've changed," you say, deadpan. "You'd still torture me."

Linia pauses, thinking it over in her head. A moment later you hear her chuckling. "Yeah, you're right! My point still stands, though! You're a keeper, Boss."

A... keeper?

Somehow, hearing this girl say something like that doesn't sound right. She must be speaking out the side of her head. A keeper? Wow, she's really warmed up to you. Boss, to her, isn't just a nickname. It's a title that garners undivided respect.

...

Before you can question her choice of words out loud, you focus instead on the sound of footsteps trailing you. They've been there for a while now, breaking off every now and again as your pursuers attempt to fool you.

You're being watched. And followed.

"What's up, Boss?" Linia notices you stop and turn around and doesn't go any further without you. She cocks an eyebrow, her curious eyes fixed on the figure who's been following you all this time — a young man dressed in an academy uniform. He has his head lowered, hands tucked in his pockets, blonde hair shielding his eyes.

When he lifts his chin and you see the dark bags hanging beneath a pair of blue eyes, you get a chill running down your back. One you can't describe. You've never seen this guy before yet there's already something off about him.

Despite your skepticism, you hold your ground. "You've been tailing us for a while," you firmly say, facing the boy. "Can I help you?"

Linia stares from you to the boy and back, then leans into your ear and whispers: "Can I beat his ass?"

"It's rare to see the catgirl without her mutt counterpart around," says the boy, looking directly at Linia now. "They're like white on rice. Can't be apart for five seconds. That's the only reason everyone bows down to them."

You don't even need to look at Linia to feel fury boiling in her throat. She grits her teeth, clenches her fist, starts to step forward before you take her arm and hold her back.