twenty-one

Ren walked behind Chishiya as they made their way away from Shibuya Crossing. Ren didn't know where they were headed or where Chishiya was taking them. She was just following him since she didn't know what else to really do. She didn't want to run into the King of Spades, and she didn't want to stay in Shibuya a minute longer.

Ren pulled the picture out of her pocket, looking at it as she walked. The edges were burned but it was still the best picture she had of her siblings. Knowing her little brother was stuck in this fucking world, probably with a counting down visa, Ren felt sick. But there was a part of her that hoped that she got to see Takura again while in this world.

She could still remember the day she found out her parents were dead.

Ren was finishing up cleaning up after her breakfast, waiting for the call from her stepfather about the the births of her twin siblings. Ren could barely sleep last night, just hoping for the call, but she knew that labor and deliveries could take time and knowing her mother, she would want to wait until she was fully settled with the twins before calling Ren.

There was a bag sitting by the front door that her stepfather forgot. She suspected that her mother would want it at some point. Ren just left it there until either her stepfather came through the door looking for it or her parents called her and asked if she could bring it to the hospital.

As Ren was putting away the dishes, there was a knock on the door. Ren figured it was one of their neighbors, wondering how her mother was. They lived in a fairly warm neighborhood, plenty of grandparents about.

Ren walked to the door, opening it without even thinking. However, her face fell when she saw two police officers standing on the steps. "May I help you?" Ren assumed that they were probably doing a random check of the neighborhood. If she recalled, her stepfather did say there was a break-in right down the road from them.

"Are you Fujisaki Ren, the daughter of Hasegawa Chiyo?" Ren nodded. "I am sorry to inform you, your mother has passed away." Ren didn't believe them – the hospital would have called, her stepfather would have called if her mother passed away while giving birth. The police wouldn't be coming to the house to tell her, unless something else was wrong.

Ren hated to admit that she wasn't terribly close with her mother. As for her birth father, he wanted nothing to do with the pregnancy. Her stepfather was a dream when he entered their lives, but at the same time, Ren wasn't happy with her way of life.

"Where's my stepfather? Where's Isamu?" She asked, feeling her heart to beat faster than before.

The second police officer spoke up, "Late last night, do you know where your parents were headed?"

"To the hospital," Ren felt the tears pooling in her eyes. "Mother was feeling contractions, so her doctor told her to come in." Ren cleared her throat. "What-"

"There was a car accident." Ren fell to her knees instantly. Despite not being close to her mother or even her stepfather, Ren felt her whole world breaking around her. She struggled to breath as she sat on the entryway floor, on her knees, hands out in front of her.

The first of the tears rolled down her cheeks as she uttered the words, "My siblings?" Her voice cracked. Losing her parents was one thing, but also losing her twin siblings... Ren already didn't want to live before this accident, but now she truly didn't if everyone she ever cared about was dead.

"We were asked to escort you to the hospital to identify the bodies."

Ren lowered her head to the ground, a sob broke through her throat.