16. Late

"What do you need for this... what do you call it... laser?" Odessa questioned.

"An Active -" orion started talking and odessa was completely lost but she nodded along. "-medium or laser gain medium-" he was the smartest boy in the world and odessa knew he didnt get it from his father. "Oh and a Pumping-" Orion was always so excited to learn something new he wanted to be the first to make it or else it wasnt as exciting. Odessa wondered what a child with viserys would be. What they would look like. "-device or external energy source Resonant cavity or optical resonator-" orion was her little genius. She wondered what ollivander would do if he ever got a dragon. He would be on cloud nine like Orion when he was lasered in on a project.

"Orion looking good. Can you explain what I just paid for?" Viserys questioned chuckled. Ophelia looked to her mother as she leaned into viserys. Was she in love with the king? Would ophelia become a princess?

"The active medium is excited by the external energy source to produce the population inversion." Orion informed him.

"I didn't understand any of that." Viserys admitted

"This is beyond me." Odessa agreed.

Her hand kept going to her stomach. She couldnt tell besides her lateness but she could feel it. She could feel it every day that passed. Her baby. She loved being a mother.

Odessas pride and joys were her children. She hadnt cared for more at the time she remembered how much she didnt like being pregnant how she hated the morning sickness that she suddenly felt washing over her.

Orions smile fell when odessa ran off barfing in the bushes. Ollivander chased after odessa.

"Mum?"  Ollivander questioned nervously.

"Im fine honey," odessa assured. "Just..." she barfed again.

Ophelias eyes went wide. First she saw what might have been her mother and the king being quite intimate and now she was having... morning sickness?

"Lets get you back," viserys suggested wrapping an arm around odessa. "You alright love?" He whispered as she wiped at her lip.

A laser was a device that emitted light through a process of optical amplification based on the stimulated emission of electromagnetic radiation. The word laser was an anacronym that originated as an acronym for light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation. Orion made that up himself. He thought it sounded cool. Ollivander the little smart ass countered it should be called 'LABSEOR' confused why he got rid of the littlest words for his new invention.

"Because Labseor doesnt sound as cool as Laser." Was orions only answer that would suffice to ollivander.

Laser beams can be focused to very tiny spots, achieving a very high irradiance, or they can have a very low divergence to concentrate their power at a great distance.

Orion was going to start low and then gain distance. Who knew what he would be able to do the lengths he could reach. Ollivander again questioned the explosiveness of this laser he was working on. He was happy to know that kaboom could be in their future.

A beam produced by a thermal or other incoherent light source has an instantaneous amplitude and phase that vary randomly with respect to time and position, thus having a short coherence length.

"Odessa?"

"Im fine." Odessa couldnt keep lying to viserys. "I cant thank you enough the past fortnight taking such good care of the boys for me. Its just the flu. Im sure I will be feeling better in no time."

"Are you sure my dear? I want to help you. I feel so useless." Viserys countered offering her some more tea. She took a sip. She had barely held anything down she was light headed and dizzy and weak and this was how she remembered her first pregnancy and last. Ophelia wasnt as much of a pain but her boys gave her hell in womb.

"Lasers have a wavelength, single wavelength lasers produce radiation in several modes with slightly different wavelengths." Orion was telling otto.

"And you want to do multiple wavelengths?" Otto questioned.

"Yeah... is mum going to be okay?" Orion questioned.

"Im sure its just the flu. The king has his personal maester checking on her."

Otto was upset though that odessa wasnt talking to him about this. They used to talk all the time and now she was being so distant. They lived in the same house and they had never left so far away.

"Hi Otto..."

"Oh odessa. How are you?" Otto questioned.

"Why do you look surprised?"

"You havent been around much of late." Otto offered. "I was wondering when i was getting my sister back."

"Im right here otto. Viserys was just... tending to me."

"I felt like I lost my sister." Otto whispered. "You were better and then you were distant and its been rwo moons since we really talked you and me and I... i just feel like I lost you, lost my baby sister."

"Otto, you havent lost me! I wasn't trying to lose you. I just had too much going on in my head." Odessa remarked.

"Well, I'd love to crawl into your head sometime." Otto remarked. "You have been distant with me and thats not like you. You moved here so we could be closer but you seem far away lately. Whats going on in that head of yours, please, I want to know."

"No. You wouldn't. It's a dark hole with blundering ideas. It's where good intentions go to be suffocated." Odessa corrected.  "It's a freight train with no reigns. It's a million scenes from plays, books, and real-life observations, all trying to find where they fit into my own life," Odessa offered as she paced. "-all waiting to be acted out at the right time. It's an incessant replaying of missed cues and misspoken words." He narrows his eyes. Odessa looked away and shrug. "I don't mind being me. No one else can do it better or worse..."

"Odessa, talk to me." Otto begged.

"You are going to hate me." Odessa countered.

"I could never hate you." Otto corrected.

"I'm late."

"Late?" Otto countered. "Late." Recollection set in. "The king." He rasped giving her a single nod.

"Say something." Odessa begged.

"What do you want me to say Odessa?" Otto questioned.

"Anything." Odessa begged lips twisting.

"I love you, Dessa, I love you so much, no matter what you want you want to run away? Back to old town? I will support you, you want to stay here, that baby will be born with silver hair, you will be..."

"I know what I will be." Odessa agreed. "But its a boy. I can tell."

"You can?" Otto questioned.

"Feels like Orion did. and Ollivander." Odessa added. "Otto..."

"If you gave the king a son..."

"Viserys wants a son, I want him, we love each other." Odessa assured. "He could take a second wife, could you put the idea in his head?" She whispered. Otto had neve seen his sister scared before but nerves filled her.

"I will speak with the king, he doesnt know?"

"Not yet, but it will be harder to hide."